1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a/u

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    Okay well, I looked through my calculus notes and textbook and I can't find what to do when you are integrating a function of the type a/u where a is a constant and u is some linear function of x. I know that the integral of 1/x is ln(x) but what about when you have something like
    [tex]\int \fract{3}{100+2t} [/tex] which is 3/2 ln(100+2t).

If I recall the derivative of ln(u) is u'/u, so I assume it must somehow be like that. I am sure I learned how to integrate it somewhere along the road... must've been asleep that class or something though...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to to a u-substitution. Let u equal the denominator, and go from there.

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Nvm. Apparently I couldn't see the code right.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Corrected your LaTeX. You had "fract" instead of "frac".

Also, you should get in the habit of including the differential, dt in this case. If you don't, it will definitely come back and bite you very soon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook