Can a Velocity Vector be Integrated to Parameterize y=x^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of integrating a unit tangent vector to a curve in order to obtain a parameterization for the curve. It is noted that simply integrating the vector with respect to t will not recover the curve, and a function s(t) must be defined in order to parametrize with arc length. The conversation also touches on the idea of maintaining a constant speed on the curve by changing the velocity angle, and the potential for imaginary results when taking arccos and arcsin of certain inputs. Finally, a request is made for a demonstration of how to set up and solve the differential equation in this scenario.
rabbed
Hi

(1/sqrt(4t²+1), 2t/sqrt(4t²+1)) gives a unit tangent to the curve y=x^2 at point (t,t^2).
Viewing the vector as velocity, shouldn't I be able to integrate it and get a parameterization for y=x^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you try to integrate it with respect to ##t## you will not recover the curve since you have normalised the vector. What you have is
$$
\frac{\frac{d\vec x}{dt}}{\left\lvert\frac{d\vec x}{dt}\right\rvert},
$$
not ##d\vec x/dt##.

Likes scottdave
Ah, okay.
So if I want to arc-length parameterize, I would need to convert "sqrt(4t^2+1)" from the expression sqrt(4t^2+1)*(cos(atan2(2t,1)), sin(atan2(2t,1))) into some change of the angle atan2(2t,1)..

If you want to parametrise with the arc length you should define a function s(t) such that ##d\vec x/ds= (d\vec x/dt)(dt/ds)## is a unit vector. This will give you a differential equation to solve.

Okay,
but to have a constant speed of 1, changing the velocity angle is what you would actually do at each point to stay on the curve, right?
And this would involve taking arccos and arcsin of some input r where it's possible that |r| > 1, so that the result can be imaginary?

Can you show me how you would set up and solve the differential equation in my case?

1. What does it mean to integrate a velocity vector?

Integrating a velocity vector refers to finding the displacement of an object over a given time period by taking into account its initial position and velocity.

2. Why is integrating a velocity vector important in science?

Integrating a velocity vector allows us to understand the motion of an object and make predictions about its future position. It is essential in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where the understanding of motion is crucial.

3. How do you integrate a velocity vector?

To integrate a velocity vector, you first need to determine the initial position and velocity of the object. Then, you can use calculus methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, to find the displacement over a given time interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrating a velocity vector?

Integrating a velocity vector is used in various applications, including predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the position of a moving object, and analyzing the motion of celestial bodies.

5. Can you integrate a velocity vector for non-uniform motion?

Yes, you can integrate a velocity vector for non-uniform motion by breaking the motion into smaller segments and finding the displacement for each segment. Then, you can sum up the individual displacements to find the total displacement over the given time period.