1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a wave function

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Hey. Im pretty confident i have solve this problem. I just solve the integral of the given wave function, with the given limits... However, im having a difficult time integrating it. The sqrt(2/L) can be brought outside of the integral, but what can i with the sin function?

The wave function of an electron is
    ψ2(x) = sqrt(2/L) sin(2πx/L)
    Calculate the probability of finding the electron between x = 0 and x = L/6.

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what is the problem...?Compute the probability density first,and then integrate the result between the 2 limits specified in the problem...

Daniel.

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    One-dimensional infinite square well I assume. What's wrong?

[tex] \psi_2 (x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin{\frac{2\pi x}{L}} \Longrightarrow | \psi_2(x) |^2 = \frac{2}{L}\sin^2{\frac{2\pi x}{L}}[/tex]

integrate from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\frac{L}{6}[/itex]... If you don't remember the half-angle identity, here it is:

[tex] \sin^2{x} = \frac{1}{2}(1-\cos{2x})[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?