1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating arcsech x

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was asked to prove the integral

##\int_{\frac{4}{5}}^{1} \textrm{arcsech}(x) =2\arctan 2-\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

2. Relevant equations
    Integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let ##u=\textrm{arcsech} (x)##
    ##\textrm{sech u}=x##
    ##\textrm{cosh u}=\frac{1}{x}##
    Differentiating implicitly,

##\textrm{sinh u} \frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}}##
    ##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}\textrm{sinh u}}##

Then I simplify it into
    ##\frac{-1}{x\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}##

Let ##\frac{dv}{dx}=1##

##v=x##

Using integration by parts and evaluating the integral, I got
    ##\frac{\pi}{2}-\sin^{-1} \frac{4}{5} -\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

Which is numerically correct. But how do I obtain ##2\tan^{-1} 2 ## as shown in the question above?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Draw the standard 3-4-5 right triangle. Observe that ##\frac{\pi}{2}-\sin^{-1} \frac{4}{5} = \tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4}##.

You now have to get ##\tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4}## into something with ##\tan^{-1}2## in it.

I found this a little tricky. The best solution I could find was to let:

##\tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4} = x## so ##\tan x = \frac{3}{4}##

Then let x = 2y so that ##\tan 2y = \frac{3}{4}##

Solve for y in the form ##y = \tan^{-1}z##, where z is something you have to find. Only one value is admissible. Express x as 2y = ##2\tan^{-1}z.##

Now observe that ##\frac{1 + \tan w}{1 - \tan w} = \tan(w + \frac{\pi}{4})##. Use that to find an alternative form for ##\tan^{-1}z##, which will allow you to find x, in the form you need.

There might be a simpler way (indeed, it might start with an alternative solution of the integral), but I can't immediately find one.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. May 17, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To show the answers are the same, you have to show ##2 \tan^{-1} 2 + \sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \pi##.

From a 3-4-5 triangle, ##\sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

From ##\tan^{-1}a + \tan^{-1}b = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{a+b}{1-ab}##,

##2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac {-4} 3 = \pi - \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

QED.

5. May 22, 2014 #4
    I don't get it, but why
    ##2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac {-4} 3 = \pi - \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

6. May 22, 2014 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

I think the equalities should be $$2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1} \left(-\frac{4}{3}\right) + \pi = \pi - \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{4}{3}\right)$$

Using Alephzero's formula with ##a=b## gives $$\tan(\tan^{-1} 2 + \tan^{-1} 2) = -\frac{4}{3} \Rightarrow 2\tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1} \left(-\frac{4}{3}\right) + \pi$$

7. May 22, 2014 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Compare the graphs of ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ ## and ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ .##

Integrate ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ ## to get an area related to that given by integrating ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ .##

You will have to subtract the area of some rectangle.

8. May 23, 2014 #7
    I plotted two graphs and yet I can't figure it out... :(
    Capture.jpg

9. May 23, 2014 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definite integral you are evaluating represents the area below the y = arcsech(x) graph which is between x = 4/5 and x = 1 . Notice that arcsech(4/5) = ln(2) .

That is the same as the area below the y = sech(x) graph and above y = 4/5, for x ≥ 0. Right?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted