Integrating exp(-x^2) and some other stuff

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving the integral \int\ e^{(-x^2)} dx and its solution using the error function and a change of variables. It also mentions other methods for solving the integral and the concept of solving for a variable in an identity.
cliowa
Hello everybody
I'm very much interested in the thread about "Feynmans Calculus" (having read the books, too). The problem is I don't understand quite some of the stuff, because I don't have the necessary fundamental knowledge.
So I thought to confront you with some lower level questions:

How do you solve this: [tex]\int\ e^{(-x^2)} dx[/tex] ?
It seems that [tex]\int_{-\infty} ^\infty e^{(-x^2)} dx=\sqrt{\Pi}[/tex]. Why is that?

I honestly have no clou.

I would be very thankful if somebody could explain this to me (then I could also continue to see wether the rest of my questions still makes sense...).
Best regards and thank you in advance
cliowa

Physics news on Phys.org
cliowa said:
Hello everybody
I'm very much interested in the thread about "Feynmans Calculus" (having read the books, too). The problem is I don't understand quite some of the stuff, because I don't have the necessary fundamental knowledge.
So I thought to confront you with some lower level questions:

How do you solve this: [tex]\int\ e^{(-x^2)} dx[/tex] ?

By defining the error function

[tex] \mbox{erf} (x)=: \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{x} \exp\left(-t^{2}\right) \ dt [/tex]

cliowa said:
It seems that [tex]\int_{-\infty} ^\infty e^{(-x^2)} dx=\sqrt{\pi}[/tex]. Why is that?

Because a certain trick is performed using Fubini's theorem and a change of variables in the parametrization of an arbitrary point in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{2} [/itex].

Daniel.

[tex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
{\rm let }J = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx \\
{\rm then }J^2 = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - y^2 } } dy \\
{\rm by \: fubini's \: theorem:} \\
J^2 = \int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - (x^2 + y^2 )} } dxdy} \\
{\rm now \: employing \: a \: common \: change \: of \: variables:} \\
J^2 = \int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^\infty {e^{ - r^2 } rdrd\theta } } \\
{\rm this \: is \: now \: easily \: evaluated} \\
J^2 = 2\pi \mathop {\lim }\limits_{b \to \infty } \int\limits_0^b {e^{ - r^2 } } rdr \\
J^2 = - \pi (\mathop {\lim }\limits_{b \to \infty } e^{ - b^2 } - e^0 ) = \pi \\
{\rm so }J = \sqrt \pi \\
\end{array}
\][/tex]

dextercioby said:
By defining the error function

[tex] \mbox{erf} (x)=: \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{x} \exp\left(-t^{2}\right) \ dt [/tex]
I'm sorry to say this, but I've never heard of that before. Exactly how does this work? The whole thing (error function) is new to me. Could you explain this to me? Thank you very much.

@Cinncinnatus: How is that "common change of variables" performed?

Thanks to everybody helping me out.
Best regards
Cliowa

e^(x^2) has no elementary antiderivitve. In probability int[e^(x^2)dx] is important because the normal probability density function is in the form e^(x^2) (with some constants in there). To get the distribution function you have to integrate it, so people make tables of numerical approximations for the integral over various intervals and call it the error function.
To compute the integral exactly over the whole real line you can do that trick someone else showed. The change of variables is moving the double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates.

In probability we use the minus in the exponential.

Daniel.

Cinncinnatus: How is that "common change of variables" performed?

Define [itex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

This is a change to polar coordinates.

The integration from negative infinity to positive infinity in the (x,y) plane is equivalent to an integration from 0 to infinity over r and 0 to 2 pi in [itex]\theta[/itex], in the [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] plane.

The area element in cartesian coordinates is dx dy.
The area element in plane polar coordinates is [itex]r dr d\theta[/itex].

James R. beat me too it, that's what I did.

I'm sure someone else could explain better than I how it actually works though...

Thank you all very much. It seems a lot clearer now.

Now here's how I got to the problems mentioned above:

How to solve this (for x?):
[tex]\int_{-\infty} ^\infty e^{(-ax^2)} dx=\sqrt{\frac{\Pi}{a}}[/tex]

Having read the Feynman thread I would try the differentiation under the integral. So I take the derivative with respect to a]. I get
[tex]-\int_{-\infty} ^\infty x^2 e^{(-ax^2)} dx=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\Pi}{a^3}}[/tex].
And now? how do I continue?

What do you mean "solve this for x"?
Isn't x a dummy variable in that equation?

@Cinncinnatus: I don't know where I got the problem from, but when I saw it and had no clou how to do it, I wrote it down, and here it is. What would you solve for?

cliowa said:
Thank you all very much. It seems a lot clearer now.

Now here's how I got to the problems mentioned above:

How to solve this (for x?):
[tex]\int_{-\infty} ^\infty e^{(-ax^2)} dx=\sqrt{\frac{\Pi}{a}}[/tex]

Having read the Feynman thread I would try the differentiation under the integral. So I take the derivative with respect to a]. I get
[tex]-\int_{-\infty} ^\infty x^2 e^{(-ax^2)} dx=-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\Pi}{a^3}}[/tex].
And now? how do I continue?

There is nothing to solve for. It is an identity.

Do you know how to make substitutions to evaluate integrals ? Try substituting [itex]u = x\sqrt{a}[/itex] to evaluate the integral on the left hand side, and see what you get.

change the variable in the integral, say ax^2=y^2, than apply what you already know.

There are lots of ways to do this integral.
The most common is (as has been mentioned) to consider the 2-D integral and change to polar form.
Here is one using differentiation relative a parameter
[tex]F(x)=\displaystyle{(}\int_0^xe^{-t^2}dt\displaystyle{)}^2+\int_0^1\frac{e^{-x^2(t^2+1)}}{t^2+1}dt[/tex]

[tex]F'(x)=0[/tex]
hint: do a change of variable u=xt after differentiating
then use
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}F(x)=F(0)[/tex]
to solve for the integral
Another that is generally useful when finding an integral that would be easy were the integrant multiplied by x is to multiply two integrals together, then change the variable in one so that it is multiplied by x then perform integrations. In this case
[tex]I=\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
so
[tex]I^2=\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dx dy[/tex]
let y=zx so
[tex]I^2=\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty x e^{-x^2(1+z^2)}dx dz[/tex]
do x integral
[tex]I^2=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{1+z^2}dz[/tex]
do z integral
[tex]I^2=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
hence
[tex]I=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
this famous computation is apparently due to liouville.

Cincinnatus said:
[tex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
{\rm let }J = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx \\
{\rm so }J = \sqrt \pi \\
\end{array}
\][/tex]

Since [itex]J = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx[/itex], why is [itex]J^2 = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - y^2 } } dy[/itex] instead of [itex]J^2 = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - x^2 } } dx[/itex]?

[hm .. infinity doesn't show on the upper bound, but pretend it's there]

NSX said:
Since [itex]J = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx[/itex], why is [itex]J^2 = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - y^2 } } dy[/itex] instead of [itex]J^2 = \int\limits_{{\rm - }\infty }^\infty {{\rm e}^{{\rm - x}^{\rm 2} } } dx\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {e^{ - x^2 } } dx[/itex]?

[hm .. infinity doesn't show on the upper bound, but pretend it's there]
You can use any variable for the integration, it does not matter. Different variables are used because in subsequent steps using the same variable is bound to lead to confusion. In particular we like to write a product of integrals as an iterated integral. When this is done different variables must be used to make clear which varible corisponds to which integration.

lurflurf said:
You can use any variable for the integration, it does not matter. Different variables are used because in subsequent steps using the same variable is bound to lead to confusion. In particular we like to write a product of integrals as an iterated integral. When this is done different variables must be used to make clear which varible corisponds to which integration.

ah!
interesting, I had no idea

I will try to read up on some double integrals and cartesian/polar co-ordinate integrals this weekend.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of integrating exp(-x^2)?

The purpose of integrating exp(-x^2) is to find the area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating probabilities in statistics or solving differential equations in physics.

2. Can exp(-x^2) be integrated using traditional calculus methods?

No, exp(-x^2) cannot be integrated using traditional calculus methods. This function is known as the Gaussian or normal distribution and does not have a closed-form antiderivative. Instead, it can be approximated using numerical integration techniques.

3. How is the integration of exp(-x^2) related to the error function?

The integration of exp(-x^2) is directly related to the error function, erf(x). The error function is defined as the integral of exp(-t^2) from 0 to x. This relationship is important in statistics and probability, where the error function is used to calculate the probability of a normally distributed variable falling within a certain range.

4. Can exp(-x^2) be integrated with other functions?

Yes, exp(-x^2) can be integrated with other functions as long as they can be expressed in terms of the error function. For example, the integral of exp(-x^2) multiplied by x can be evaluated using the substitution u = -x^2, which leads to the integral of exp(u) du, which is the error function.

5. How is the integration of exp(-x^2) used in real-world applications?

The integration of exp(-x^2) has many real-world applications. In physics, it is used to solve differential equations related to heat transfer and diffusion. In finance, it is used to calculate the value of options in the Black-Scholes model. In statistics, it is used to calculate probabilities and in machine learning, it is used in algorithms such as the Gaussian Naive Bayes classifier.