Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating exponential

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1

d_b

Hi!!

I want to know how to intergrat e^(-(x^2)/2) . Someone told me to use the intergration of e^x= 1+ x + (x^2) /2!+ ....(X^n)/n! ..... is that sounds right?? and if it is i got pi as an answer for e^(-(x^2)/2) , is that the right answer???

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2
    Re: intergrating exponential

We know that [tex]\int{e^x}dx = e^x[/tex] so try to get it into that form. Substitute u = (-(x^2)/2) and get [tex]\int{e^u}du = e^u * du/dx[/tex]. Solving du/dx gives you -x. You should get an answer of -xe^((-x^2)/2) - I'm pretty sure, anyway.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

e-x2 cannot be integrated (indefinite) analytically. If you expand it into a power series, you can get the power series of the integral. There is no closed form solution.
    The integral (-oo,x) (divided by sqrt(2pi)) is called erf(x).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. Feb 7, 2009 #4

d_b

Re: intergrating exponential

I don't think you can intergrate it like that because you have x^2 and so when trying to use another variable du it will gives dx equals du*fraction of x and you can't solve for x then

6. Feb 7, 2009 #5

d_b

I actually meant to intergrate from negative infinity to positive infinity.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #6
    The answer is

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

Here's a proof: Let

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

Clearly [itex]I[/itex] is positive, so if we can show that [itex]I^2 = \pi[/tex] we are done:

[tex]I^2 = \left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx \right) \left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2} \,dy \right)
    = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} \,dx \,dy.[/tex]

Switching to polar coordinates [itex](r, \theta)[/itex], we have [itex]x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/itex] and [itex]dx\,dy = r\,dr\,d\theta[/itex]. Thus,

[tex]I^2 = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} r e^{-r^2} \,dr \,d\theta.[/tex]

Substituting [itex]u = -r^2[/itex] so that [itex]r \,dr = -du/2[/itex] will give the result.

8. Feb 8, 2009 #7

d_b

Thank you for clearing up the problem, I haven't learn how to do double intergral yet so is there any other way of doing it without using double intergral??

also [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi/2}.[/tex] ....is this correct??? what i did i just use [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] and substitute [tex]-x^2/2[/tex] with [tex]-x^2[/tex] ....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. Feb 8, 2009 #8
    No, you should have
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2} \,dx = \sqrt{2\pi}.[/tex]

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to prove the Gaussian integral without using double integration.

10. Feb 8, 2009 #9

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you look at adriank's method (which is the standard for this integral), you will see that it is simply a product of two integrals, both before and after the change of variables. The only tricky part is the change from rectangular to polar coordinates.

11. Feb 8, 2009 #10

d_b

i found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral this online which helps....but I was just thinking if i was go have[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] can i still use the double intergral?? or is there other way of doing it? (ie. using the theory property of exponential)

12. Feb 8, 2009 #11
    If you have the positive exponent ex2, then the integral will diverge.

13. Feb 8, 2009 #12

d_b

[tex]
    (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx)^2=(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx)\cdot (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy)=

(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy)= \int_0^{2\pi}dw\int_0^\infty dr r e^{-r^2}=-\pi e^{-r^2}\vert^\infty_0=\pi
    [/tex]

THis is what i got....Also would [tex]e^x^2[/tex] be different if it is not from negative infinity to positive infinity. Could it intergral exists if i was to intergrat each term of [tex]e^x^2[/tex] ????

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  14. Feb 8, 2009 #13

d_b

it would be diverge if i was to take from negative infinity or zero to positive infinity. What if i was to take the intergral for a small section. let say from 1 to 5. Would it still be diverge??

15. Feb 9, 2009 #14
  16. Feb 9, 2009 #15
    The other way to look at this is to use the definition of the error function:
    4d4a6284c0034cad3b701f8799205132.png
    400px-Error_Function.svg.png
    Then split your integral into 2 sections: [tex]-\infty \rightarrow0 \mbox{ and }0 \rightarrow\infty\\[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx=\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx-\int_{0}^{-\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx\\[/tex]

since

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) \,dx=-\int_{b}^{a} f(x) \,dx\\[/tex].

So your integral becomes

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\, (erf(x)-erf(-x))\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

which is [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] because [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\, erf(x) = 1 [/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to-\infty}\, erf(x) = -1 [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  17. Feb 9, 2009 #16

d_b

is this the only way of proving [tex]\int_{0}^{a} e^{x^2} \,dx[/tex]

18. Feb 9, 2009 #17
    jacophile: But first you need to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \operatorname{erf}(x) = 1[/tex]!

d_b: What about that integral are you trying to find?

19. Feb 9, 2009 #18
    You already did that.
    My aim was to solve

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx[/tex]

using the erf identity, not to prove it. Like I said in my post, just another way of looking at it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  20. Feb 10, 2009 #19
    Actually, can someone help me to understand why using the following substitution is wrong?
    At least I am pretty sure it is...

[tex]\int_{0}^{x}e^{-z^2}\,dz[/tex]

let [tex]y=z^{2}\;\rightarrow\; dy=2 z dz[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow\;z=\sqrt{y}\;\mbox{ }(\forall\,y\geq\;0)\mbox{ }\;\rightarrow\,dz= \frac{1}{2} y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\;dy[/tex]

So that the integral becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \;\int_{0}^{x^{2}}\;e^{-y}\;y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dy[/tex]

If it was ok to do this one could then integrate by parts using

[tex]u=y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\;\rightarrow\;du=-\frac{1}{2} \;y^{-\frac{3}{2}}\;dy[/tex]

[tex]dv=e^{-y}dy\;\rightarrow\;v=-e^{-y}[/tex]

and then build a power series (with increasingly -ve powers of y), by successive integration by parts, of the form

[tex]e^{-x^{2}}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}f(x,i)\;\;+\;\lim_{i\to\infty}I_{i}[/tex]

Assuming you could show that the second term was zero...

I'm just unsure about the first substitution.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  21. Feb 10, 2009 #20
    I didn't really check your work but how's that different than just rewriting

[tex] e^{x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n}}{n!} [/tex]

And then integrating it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook