Integrating Exponential Functions: A Guide to Solving e^(-(x^2)/2)

In summary, integrating exponential functions can be solved by using the formula e^(-(x^2)/2) and applying the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. This process requires a good understanding of basic calculus principles and the ability to manipulate the function into a form that can be easily integrated. The result of the integration is a function that can be evaluated at different values of x to find the area under the curve or the value of the function itself. With practice and patience, solving e^(-(x^2)/2) can become a straightforward task for those familiar with calculus.
d_b
Hi!

I want to know how to intergrat e^(-(x^2)/2) . Someone told me to use the intergration of e^x= 1+ x + (x^2) /2!+ ...(X^n)/n! ... is that sounds right?? and if it is i got pi as an answer for e^(-(x^2)/2) , is that the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

We know that [tex]\int{e^x}dx = e^x[/tex] so try to get it into that form. Substitute u = (-(x^2)/2) and get [tex]\int{e^u}du = e^u * du/dx[/tex]. Solving du/dx gives you -x. You should get an answer of -xe^((-x^2)/2) - I'm pretty sure, anyway.

d_b said:
Hi!

I want to know how to intergrat e^(-(x^2)/2) . Someone told me to use the intergration of e^x= 1+ x + (x^2) /2!+ ...(X^n)/n! ... is that sounds right?? and if it is i got pi as an answer for e^(-(x^2)/2) , is that the right answer?

e-x2 cannot be integrated (indefinite) analytically. If you expand it into a power series, you can get the power series of the integral. There is no closed form solution.
The integral (-oo,x) (divided by sqrt(2pi)) is called erf(x).

Last edited:

dprimedx said:
We know that [tex]\int{e^x}dx = e^x[/tex] so try to get it into that form. Substitute u = (-(x^2)/2) and get [tex]\int{e^u}du = e^u * du/dx[/tex]. Solving du/dx gives you -x. You should get an answer of -xe^((-x^2)/2) - I'm pretty sure, anyway.

I don't think you can intergrate it like that because you have x^2 and so when trying to use another variable du it will gives dx equals du*fraction of x and you can't solve for x then

mathman said:
e-x2 cannot be integrated (indefinite) analytically. If you expand it into a power series, you can get the power series of the integral. There is no closed form solution.
The integral (-oo,x) (divided by sqrt(2pi)) is called erf(x).

I actually meant to intergrate from negative infinity to positive infinity.

The answer is

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]Here's a proof: Let

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

Clearly [itex]I[/itex] is positive, so if we can show that [itex]I^2 = \pi[/tex] we are done:

[tex]I^2 = \left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx \right) \left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-y^2} \,dy \right)
= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(x^2 + y^2)} \,dx \,dy.[/tex]

Switching to polar coordinates [itex](r, \theta)[/itex], we have [itex]x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/itex] and [itex]dx\,dy = r\,dr\,d\theta[/itex]. Thus,

[tex]I^2 = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} r e^{-r^2} \,dr \,d\theta.[/tex]

Substituting [itex]u = -r^2[/itex] so that [itex]r \,dr = -du/2[/itex] will give the result.

Thank you for clearing up the problem, I haven't learn how to do double intergral yet so is there any other way of doing it without using double intergral??

also [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi/2}.[/tex] ...is this correct? what i did i just use [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] and substitute [tex]-x^2/2[/tex] with [tex]-x^2[/tex] ...

Last edited:
No, you should have
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2} \,dx = \sqrt{2\pi}.[/tex]

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to prove the Gaussian integral without using double integration.

d_b said:
Thank you for clearing up the problem, I haven't learn how to do double intergral yet so is there any other way of doing it without using double intergral??

also [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2} \,dx = \sqrt{\pi/2}.[/tex] ...is this correct? what i did i just use [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex] and substitute [tex]-x^2/2[/tex] with [tex]-x^2[/tex] ...
If you look at adriank's method (which is the standard for this integral), you will see that it is simply a product of two integrals, both before and after the change of variables. The only tricky part is the change from rectangular to polar coordinates.

i found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral this online which helps...but I was just thinking if i was go have[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex] can i still use the double intergral?? or is there other way of doing it? (ie. using the theory property of exponential)

If you have the positive exponent ex2, then the integral will diverge.

[tex]
(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx)^2=(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx)\cdot (\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-y^2}dy)=

(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy)= \int_0^{2\pi}dw\int_0^\infty dr r e^{-r^2}=-\pi e^{-r^2}\vert^\infty_0=\pi
[/tex]

THis is what i got...Also would [tex]e^x^2[/tex] be different if it is not from negative infinity to positive infinity. Could it intergral exists if i was to intergrat each term of [tex]e^x^2[/tex] ?

Last edited:
adriank said:
If you have the positive exponent ex2, then the integral will diverge.

it would be diverge if i was to take from negative infinity or zero to positive infinity. What if i was to take the intergral for a small section. let say from 1 to 5. Would it still be diverge??

The other way to look at this is to use the definition of the error function:
4d4a6284c0034cad3b701f8799205132.png

400px-Error_Function.svg.png

Then split your integral into 2 sections: [tex]-\infty \rightarrow0 \mbox{ and }0 \rightarrow\infty\\[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx=\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx-\int_{0}^{-\infty} e^{-x^2} \,dx\\[/tex]

since

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x) \,dx=-\int_{b}^{a} f(x) \,dx\\[/tex].

So your integral becomes

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\, (erf(x)-erf(-x))\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

which is [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] because [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\, erf(x) = 1 [/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to-\infty}\, erf(x) = -1 [/tex]

Last edited:
is this the only way of proving [tex]\int_{0}^{a} e^{x^2} \,dx[/tex]

jacophile: But first you need to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \operatorname{erf}(x) = 1[/tex]!

d_b: What about that integral are you trying to find?

You already did that.
My aim was to solve

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}\,dx[/tex]

using the erf identity, not to prove it. Like I said in my post, just another way of looking at it.

Last edited:
Actually, can someone help me to understand why using the following substitution is wrong?
At least I am pretty sure it is...

[tex]\int_{0}^{x}e^{-z^2}\,dz[/tex]

let [tex]y=z^{2}\;\rightarrow\; dy=2 z dz[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow\;z=\sqrt{y}\;\mbox{ }(\forall\,y\geq\;0)\mbox{ }\;\rightarrow\,dz= \frac{1}{2} y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\;dy[/tex]

So that the integral becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \;\int_{0}^{x^{2}}\;e^{-y}\;y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,dy[/tex]

If it was ok to do this one could then integrate by parts using

[tex]u=y^{-\frac{1}{2}}\;\rightarrow\;du=-\frac{1}{2} \;y^{-\frac{3}{2}}\;dy[/tex]

[tex]dv=e^{-y}dy\;\rightarrow\;v=-e^{-y}[/tex]

and then build a power series (with increasingly -ve powers of y), by successive integration by parts, of the form

[tex]e^{-x^{2}}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}f(x,i)\;\;+\;\lim_{i\to\infty}I_{i}[/tex]

Assuming you could show that the second term was zero...

I'm just unsure about the first substitution.

Last edited:
I didn't really check your work but how's that different than just rewriting

[tex] e^{x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n}}{n!} [/tex]

And then integrating it out.

Hm, its amazing what a bit of sleep will do for you.

Ok, I see the problem now: the function is not well behaved at the lower limit of the integration so that is why the substitution is not viable.

adriank said:
jacophile: But first you need to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \operatorname{erf}(x) = 1[/tex]!

d_b: What about that integral are you trying to find?

I posted a few of them. Which one are you talking about?

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ab^x, where the base, b, is a positive constant and the exponent, x, is a variable. These functions are characterized by their rapid growth or decay.

What is the process of integrating an exponential function?

The process of integrating an exponential function involves finding the antiderivative of the function. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

What is the general formula for integrating an exponential function?

The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫ab^x dx = (ab^x)/ln(b) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be applied to any exponential function, as long as the base, b, is a positive constant.

What are the common applications of integrating exponential functions in science?

Integrating exponential functions is commonly used in science to model growth and decay processes, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also used in physics to calculate work and power, as well as in economics to model compound interest.

What are some tips for solving integration problems involving exponential functions?

Some tips for solving integration problems involving exponential functions include using appropriate substitution, understanding the properties of logarithms and exponents, and practicing with different types of problems. It is also important to carefully check the solution by differentiating it to ensure its correctness.