1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating factor ode

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex](1-\frac{x}{y})dx + (2xy + \frac{x}{y} + \frac{x^2}{y^2})dy = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea what strategy to use here. Tried using an integrating factor, but no success. A lot of x/y in here makes me think I need to use a substitution, but there's also "xy" in here which doesn't help me. What should I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2
    Re: Ode

How did you try using the integrating factor? Did you try multiplying by "x^m*y^n" and then solving the integers "m" and "n"?
  4. Apr 5, 2010 #3

I tried using the formulas:

F(x) = \frac{\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}}{N}
    And then:
    [tex]\mu(x) = e^{\int F(x) dx}[/tex]

(there's also a similar one for y, with signs reversed and M instead of N in the denominator).

Had trouble in the F(x) part - couldn't get a function of x only (or y, for that matter).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. Apr 5, 2010 #4

Ok! Solved it. Missed a little thing on my side.

Thanks anyway! :)
  6. Apr 5, 2010 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The substitution [itex]u(y)=\frac{x}{y}[/itex] works out nicely.
  7. Apr 5, 2010 #6

[tex]C = \ln{|x|} + \ln{|y|} - \frac{x}{y} + y^2[/tex]

That's the solution, in 2 different strategies.
    One using the integrating factor, second using your substitution. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook