Integrating Factor Method and Absolute Value Bars

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation using the integrating factor method, where the integrating factor is represented by |y|. The question is whether the absolute value bars should be dropped when multiplying the equation by y, and the answer is that either y or -y can be used without affecting the result. It is also mentioned that \ln(-1) is undefined and that the absolute value bars are used to avoid this issue.
manenbu
So there's this equation:
[tex]x^2 y^2 dx + (x^3y-1)dy[/tex]
It has to be solved with the integrating factor method, so I get this:
[tex]\mu(y) = e^{\int \frac{dy}{y}} = e^{\ln{|y|}} = |y|[/tex]

My question is, what do I do with the absolute value bars?
If I just drop them and multiply the entire equation with y, then I can solve the equation and get:
[tex]2x^3 y^3 - 3 y^2 = C[/tex]
Which is the correct answer.
But I'm not sure that dropping it will always be correct, so what should be done here?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is [itex]\ln(-1)[/itex]?

It's undefined, and I know that.
This is the reason you put the bars in the first place, but my question was about the integrating factor itself, should it be y or |y|.

Use either y or -y. Since you are multiplying the entire equation by that, it doesn't affect the result.

ok I understand!

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical tool used in solving first-order differential equations. It is a function that is multiplied by the original equation to make it more easily solvable.

When is an integrating factor used?

An integrating factor is used when solving first-order linear differential equations that are not in standard form. It allows for the equation to be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

How do you find the integrating factor?

The integrating factor can be found by multiplying the original equation by a function that satisfies a certain condition. This condition is that the derivative of the function must equal the coefficient of the highest order derivative in the original equation.

What is the purpose of using an integrating factor?

The purpose of using an integrating factor is to simplify the process of solving a first-order differential equation. It allows for the equation to be rewritten in a form that can be easily solved by integration.

Can an integrating factor be used for higher order differential equations?

No, an integrating factor can only be used for first-order differential equations. For higher order differential equations, other methods such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients must be used.