Integrating factor strategy

In summary: Integrating Factor strategy for U ( "Mew" ) of y is a method used to make a first-order linear differential equation exact and easier to solve. The key is to find a function, denoted as "mew", which when multiplied by the equation, will make it integrable. This is achieved by finding the derivative of "mew" with respect to y and setting it equal to the ratio of the coefficients of dx and dy in the equation. This can then be solved to find "mew" and ultimately the Integrating Factor, U ( "Mew" ) of y. This approach is similar to the method used for "mew" of x, but with a few adjustments to accommodate for the
Naeem
Q. Motivate the Integrating factor strategy for U ( "Mew" ) of y

I know how to prove it for "Mew" of x but how to do for "mew" of y

Maybe something like this.

Mdx (x.y) + Ndy ( x, y ) = 0

Assume this is differentiable so let us multiply by "mew" of x on both sides to make it exact.

Then M ( tilda ) the left term and N ( tilda ) equal to the right term

Then may be, Find partial with respect to x in the M terms. and partial with respect to y in the N terms. Is this idea/approach correct.

Thanks, for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
Q. Motivate the Integrating factor strategy for U ( "Mew" ) of y

I know how to prove it for "Mew" of x but how to do for "mew" of y

Maybe something like this.

Mdx (x.y) + Ndy ( x, y ) = 0

Assume this is differentiable so let us multiply by "mew" of x on both sides to make it exact.

Then M ( tilda ) the left term and N ( tilda ) equal to the right term

Then may be, Find partial with respect to x in the M terms. and partial with respect to y in the N terms. Is this idea/approach correct.

Thanks, for your help

Naeem, no offense but this is not clear and the notations is awkward. Perhaps if you specify a specific problem we can help you.

Well, I need to come up with the following final formula used for finding the Integrating factor, for a linear differential equation.

e ^ Integral Nx-My / M = Greek Letter U ( Mew) (y)

This is the formula used to find the Integrating factor, with respect to y in Linear differential equation.

Just using 'u' is acceptable. However, you can create a Greek mu (that's how it's spelled) with the following incantation, if you remove the spaces:

& m u ;

That will be turned into the symbol μ. (Yes, I know the default font doesn't render it very well. :frown: If you want, you might write your post in the Times New Roman font -- it does Greek characters well)

Naeem said:
Well, I need to come up with the following final formula used for finding the Integrating factor, for a linear differential equation.

e ^ Integral Nx-My / M = Greek Letter U ( Mew) (y)

This is the formula used to find the Integrating factor, with respect to y in Linear differential equation.
I am not sure what you are asking. Perhaps this will help:

For a first order differential equation put into the form:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + P(x)y = Q(x)[/tex]

you want to find a function [itex]\mu(x)[/itex] such that:

[tex]\mu\frac{dy}{dx} + \mu P(x)y = \mu Q(x)[/tex] where:

[tex]\mu\frac{dy}{dx} + \mu P(x)y = \frac{d}{dx}(\mu y)[/tex]

This reduces to:

[tex]\mu P(x)y = y\frac{d\mu}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\mu}{dx} = \mu P(x)[/tex]

Dividing by [itex]\mu[/itex] and integrating both sides:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\mu}d\mu = \int P(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]ln\mu = \int P(x) dx[/tex]

So the general solution for [itex]\mu[/itex] is:

[tex]\mu = \pm e^{\int P(x) dx}[/tex]

AM

1. What is an integrating factor strategy?

An integrating factor strategy is a mathematical technique used in solving differential equations. It involves finding a function, known as an integrating factor, that can be multiplied to a given differential equation to make it easier to solve.

2. How does an integrating factor help in solving differential equations?

An integrating factor helps in solving differential equations by transforming the given equation into a new form that can be easily solved using basic integration techniques. It essentially simplifies the equation and makes it more manageable to work with.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using the integrating factor strategy?

The integrating factor strategy can be applied to first-order ordinary differential equations that are linear or can be transformed into a linear form. It is also useful for solving exact equations, which are a type of first-order differential equations.

4. What are the steps involved in using the integrating factor strategy?

The steps involved in using the integrating factor strategy are:

1. Identify the given differential equation and determine if it is linear or can be transformed into a linear form.
  2. Find the integrating factor by multiplying the coefficient of the highest order derivative by the independent variable and integrating it.
  3. Multiply the integrating factor to both sides of the equation.
  4. Simplify the equation and solve for the dependent variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integrating factor strategy?

Yes, there are limitations to using the integrating factor strategy. It can only be applied to certain types of differential equations, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, it may not work for nonlinear equations or those with non-constant coefficients. It also may not always result in a solution that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.