Integrating factor to solve this?

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of v in an equation that includes cos and sin functions, as well as the gravitational constant and a variable b. The solution involves using a substitution and integrating non-elementary functions.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

##cos t \frac{dv}{dt} + (sin t) t = \frac{GM}{b^2 }\sin^3 t ##

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

im pretty stuck to be honest. It almost looks like a product rule on the LHS but it has the wrong sign, RHS I've tried writing ##sin^3 t## as ##(1-cos^2t)\sin t## etc, pretty unsure what integration factor I need.

Thanks in advcance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi binaqsss:

I suggest trying the substitution x = sin(t).

Regards,
Buzz

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

above

The Attempt at a Solution

im pretty stuck to be honest. It almost looks like a product rule on the LHS but it has the wrong sign, RHS I've tried writing ##sin^3 t## as ##(1-cos^2t)\sin t## etc, pretty unsure what integration factor I need.

Thanks in advcance.

If you wrote the problem correctly, then you just have
$$\frac{dv}{dt} = - t \tan t + a \frac{ \sin^3 t }{\cos t} = - t \tan t + a \sin^2 t \, \tan t,$$
so ##v = - \int t \tan t \, dt + a \int sin^2 t \, \tan t \, dt##. The integration in the first term involves some non-elementary functions.

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Did you perhaps mistype it and mean instead:$$
\cos t \frac{dv}{dt} + (\sin t) \color{red}{v} = \frac{GM}{b^2 }\sin^3t \text{ ?}$$

1. What is an integrating factor and why is it used to solve differential equations?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a differential equation in order to make it easier to solve. It is used because it can transform a more complex equation into a simpler one, making it easier to find a solution.

2. How do I know when to use an integrating factor in differential equations?

An integrating factor is typically used when the differential equation is not in a form that is easily solvable. This can include equations with variables that are not separable, or equations with non-constant coefficients.

3. Can any function be used as an integrating factor?

No, not all functions can be used as an integrating factor. The function must satisfy a specific condition, which is that when it is multiplied to both sides of the differential equation, it must result in a new equation that is integrable.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the integrating factor?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the integrating factor, depending on the form of the differential equation. The most common method is using the method of variation of parameters, where the integrating factor is found by solving a first-order linear equation.

5. Can an integrating factor be used for all types of differential equations?

No, an integrating factor is mainly used for first-order linear differential equations. It can also be used for some higher-order and non-linear equations, but it may not always result in a solution.