Integrating Factor

• Thread starter sleventh
  • Start date
Hello All,
Given the equation (2/y + y/x)dx + (3y/x + 2)dy
I am first asked to show the equation is not exact. To do this I showed the mixed partials were not equal i.e.:
(2/y + y/x)dy != (3y/x + 2)dx

I am then asked to find an integrating factor and show the potential function is given by
f = x^2 + y^3 + xy^2

I have consulted my ODE's text book but can not see how to apply the methods there to a multi-variable problem. I also haven't had much luck online.

Thank you for your help

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello All,
Given the equation (2/y + y/x)dx + (3y/x + 2)dy

That isn't an equation; it is just an expression. Perhaps you want to set it = 0.
I am first asked to show the equation is not exact. To do this I showed the mixed partials were not equal i.e.:
(2/y + y/x)dy != (3y/x + 2)dx

I am then asked to find an integrating factor and show the potential function is given by
f = x^2 + y^3 + xy^2

I have consulted my ODE's text book but can not see how to apply the methods there to a multi-variable problem. I also haven't had much luck online.

Thank you for your help

Try multiplying your equation by xy to clear the fractions. Also, since you are given a potential function, you could work backwards to see what to do.

thank for your reply LCKurts
I see how multiplying by xy allows for an exact equation (and i think it's assumed to equal zero) since the mixed partials are equal. But to be honest, I do not see how you solve for the integrating factor other then guess by experience nor do I see how to actually solve for f(x,y) once you have your integrating factor. Thank you for any help.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
thank for your reply LCKurts
I see how multiplying by xy allows for an exact equation (and i think it's assumed to equal zero) since the mixed partials are equal. But to be honest, I do not see how you solve for the integrating factor other then guess by experience nor do I see how to actually solve for f(x,y) once you have your integrating factor. Thank you for any help.

Well, multiplying by xy is a no-brainer to get rid of the fractions. Sometimes if an equation is not exact, you can find an integrating factor that is a pure function of x or y. If you are interested, I printed an article about that that you can read as post #2 in the thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=342132

As to how to solve the equation once you have it exact, look at example 2 in

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Exact.aspx

for an easy to read example.

That example was incredibly helpful. I was overcomplicating but now see it is in the fact
eq0012MP.gif

can be written from
eq0011MP.gif

looking at the single variable case i thought you had to use the e^int(p(x)) expression, but that is just a simple case used as example.

One last question i do not see how multiplying by a integrating factor allows for a general solution. Wouldn't you be changing your function by doing this?

Attachments

• eq0012MP.gif
    eq0012MP.gif
    947 bytes · Views: 329