Integrating Factor Homework: y'+ (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), y(pi)=0

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to a differential equation involving an integrating factor. After some initial mistakes, it is determined that the correct integrating factor is e^(2ln(t)) = t^2. The equation is then multiplied by this factor to simplify the left side and make it easier to integrate.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), and the following condition is given: y(pi) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After employing the integrating factor, I find the solution to be:

[itex]y=e^{-2t} \int e^{2t} \frac{\cos(t)}{t^2} dt[/itex].

Evidently, this simplifies all the way to y = (sin t)/(t^2). I am not sure as to how this integral should be solved. Any hints would be much welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should show all your steps, starting with exactly how you applied your integrating factor. Clearly, there's an error somewhere.

I see what I did wrong.

mu of t, the integrating factor, [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{2}{t}}dt = e^{2 \ln t} = e^{2t}[/itex]

Do you see where I went wrong? It should be [itex]\mu (t) = 2t[/itex]

This is an example of what happens when you memorize formulas (imperfectly) rather than learning basic definitions and how the formulas are derived.

An "integrating factor" is a function, [itex]\mu(t)[/itex] such that multiplying the equation by it converts the left side into a single derivative. Here, that means we must have [itex]\mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y= (\mu y)'[/itex]. Expanding the derivative on the right that becomes [itex]\mu y'+ \mu' y= \mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y[/itex] which reduces to [itex]\mu'= 2\mu/t[/itex], a separable differential equation for [itex]\mu[/itex]. [itex]d\mu/\mu= 2dt/t[/itex] integrates to [itex]ln(\mu)= 2ln(t)[/itex] or [itex]\mu= t^2[/itex] NOT "2t" (I have neglected the "constant of integration since we only need a single function).

Multiplying the entire equation by [itex]t^2[/itex] gives [itex]t^2y'+ 2ty= (t^2y)'= cos(t)[/itex] which is easy to integrate.

Likes riceking95
Bashyboy said:
I see what I did wrong.

mu of t, the integrating factor, [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{2}{t}}dt = e^{2 \ln t} = e^{2t}[/itex]

Do you see where I went wrong? It should be [itex]\mu (t) = 2t[/itex]

##e^{2 \ln t} = (e^{\ln t})^2 = t^2##, that's your integrating factor.

Your integrating factor is NOT ##2t##. ##2t## is in fact the derivative of your integrating factor, and you should be able to see this from applying product rule to ##yt^2##.

Last edited:

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a first-order linear differential equation in order to make it easier to solve. It is used to convert a non-exact differential equation into an exact one.

2. How do you find the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

To find the integrating factor for a given differential equation, first identify the coefficient of the highest derivative term. Then, take the exponential of the integral of this coefficient. The resulting function is the integrating factor.

3. How do you use the integrating factor to solve a differential equation?

Once you have found the integrating factor, you multiply it to both sides of the differential equation. This will make the equation exact, allowing you to use the technique of integration to solve for the solution.

4. What is the solution to the given differential equation?

The solution to the given differential equation is y(t) = (2/3)sin(t)/t + (1/3)cos(t)/t + (1/3)sin(t)/t^2.

5. How do you use the initial condition to find the particular solution?

To use the initial condition (y(pi)=0) to find the particular solution, substitute the given value of t into the general solution and solve for the constant of integration. In this case, the constant of integration is 0, so the particular solution is y(t) = (2/3)sin(t)/t + (1/3)cos(t)/t + (1/3)sin(t)/t^2.