Integrating Factor

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), and the following condition is given: y(pi) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After employing the integrating factor, I find the solution to be:

[itex]y=e^{-2t} \int e^{2t} \frac{\cos(t)}{t^2} dt[/itex].

Evidently, this simplifies all the way to y = (sin t)/(t^2). I am not sure as to how this integral should be solved. Any hints would be much welcomed.

Answers and Replies

Curious3141
Homework Helper
I think you should show all your steps, starting with exactly how you applied your integrating factor. Clearly, there's an error somewhere.

I see what I did wrong.

mu of t, the integrating factor, [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{2}{t}}dt = e^{2 \ln t} = e^{2t}[/itex]

Do you see where I went wrong? It should be [itex]\mu (t) = 2t[/itex]

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is an example of what happens when you memorize formulas (imperfectly) rather than learning basic definitions and how the formulas are derived.

An "integrating factor" is a function, [itex]\mu(t)[/itex] such that multiplying the equation by it converts the left side into a single derivative. Here, that means we must have [itex]\mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y= (\mu y)'[/itex]. Expanding the derivative on the right that becomes [itex]\mu y'+ \mu' y= \mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y[/itex] which reduces to [itex]\mu'= 2\mu/t[/itex], a separable differential equation for [itex]\mu[/itex]. [itex]d\mu/\mu= 2dt/t[/itex] integrates to [itex]ln(\mu)= 2ln(t)[/itex] or [itex]\mu= t^2[/itex] NOT "2t" (I have neglected the "constant of integration since we only need a single function).

Multiplying the entire equation by [itex]t^2[/itex] gives [itex]t^2y'+ 2ty= (t^2y)'= cos(t)[/itex] which is easy to integrate.

Likes riceking95
Curious3141
Homework Helper
I see what I did wrong.

mu of t, the integrating factor, [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{2}{t}}dt = e^{2 \ln t} = e^{2t}[/itex]

Do you see where I went wrong? It should be [itex]\mu (t) = 2t[/itex]
##e^{2 \ln t} = (e^{\ln t})^2 = t^2##, that's your integrating factor.

Your integrating factor is NOT ##2t##. ##2t## is in fact the derivative of your integrating factor, and you should be able to see this from applying product rule to ##yt^2##.

Last edited: