1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Factor

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y' + (2/t)y = (cost)/(t^2), and the following condition is given: y(pi) = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    After employing the integrating factor, I find the solution to be:

[itex]y=e^{-2t} \int e^{2t} \frac{\cos(t)}{t^2} dt[/itex].

Evidently, this simplifies all the way to y = (sin t)/(t^2). I am not sure as to how this integral should be solved. Any hints would be much welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I think you should show all your steps, starting with exactly how you applied your integrating factor. Clearly, there's an error somewhere.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    I see what I did wrong.

mu of t, the integrating factor, [itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{2}{t}}dt = e^{2 \ln t} = e^{2t}[/itex]

Do you see where I went wrong? It should be [itex]\mu (t) = 2t[/itex]

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is an example of what happens when you memorize formulas (imperfectly) rather than learning basic definitions and how the formulas are derived.

An "integrating factor" is a function, [itex]\mu(t)[/itex] such that multiplying the equation by it converts the left side into a single derivative. Here, that means we must have [itex]\mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y= (\mu y)'[/itex]. Expanding the derivative on the right that becomes [itex]\mu y'+ \mu' y= \mu y'+ (2\mu/t)y[/itex] which reduces to [itex]\mu'= 2\mu/t[/itex], a separable differential equation for [itex]\mu[/itex]. [itex]d\mu/\mu= 2dt/t[/itex] integrates to [itex]ln(\mu)= 2ln(t)[/itex] or [itex]\mu= t^2[/itex] NOT "2t" (I have neglected the "constant of integration since we only need a single function).

Multiplying the entire equation by [itex]t^2[/itex] gives [itex]t^2y'+ 2ty= (t^2y)'= cos(t)[/itex] which is easy to integrate.

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

##e^{2 \ln t} = (e^{\ln t})^2 = t^2##, that's your integrating factor.

Your integrating factor is NOT ##2t##. ##2t## is in fact the derivative of your integrating factor, and you should be able to see this from applying product rule to ##yt^2##.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted