Integrating Factor Homework: Solving Diff. Eq w/ Constants

In summary, the homework equation has a differential equation with a constant on the left hand side and a function on the right hand side. The integrating factor helps to separate the equation into two parts. The first part is solved using the chain rule, and the second part is solved using the fundamental theorem of calculus. The boundary condition is that the value of the function at the origin is zero, so the final solution is C_{B}=-k_{1}C_{A0}e^{(-k_{2}-k_{1}) \tau'}-k_{1}C_{A0}e^{(k_{2}-k_{1}) \tau'}.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##C_{B}## is a function of ##\tau'##, and ##k_{1}##,##k_{2}##, and ##C_{A0}## are constants. I want to solve this differential equation
[tex] \frac {dC_{B}}{d \tau'} + k_{2}C_{B} = k_{1}C_{A0}e^{-k_{1} \tau'} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the integrating factor, we get
[tex] \frac {d(C_{B}e^{k_{2} \tau'})}{d \tau'} = k_{1}C_{A0}e^{(k_{2} - k_{1})
\tau'} [/tex]

However, from here I am unsure how to separate this. I was thinking of using chain rule on the inside, but that seems to only get me back to where I started (that's the purpose of the integrating factor??)

Physics news on Phys.org
The next step is to integrate both sides with respect to [itex]\tau'[/itex]. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, the integral of the left hand side is
[tex]\int \frac{d}{d\tau'} (C_Be^{k_2 \tau'})\,d\tau' = C_Be^{k_2 \tau'} + \mbox{constant}.[/tex]

I don't know what you mean by "separate" or what it is you want to "separate". There is no need to "separate" anything- just go ahead and integrate:
[tex]\frac{d C_Be^{k_2\tau'}}{d\tau'}= k_1C_{A0}e^{(k_2- k_1)\tau'}[/tex]
[tex]\int d C_Be^{k_2\tau'}= \int k_1C_{A0}e^{(k_2- k_1)\tau'} d\tau'[/tex]

[tex]C_Be^{k_2\tau'}= \frac{k_1C_{A0}}{k_2- k_1}e^{(k_2- k_1)}\tau'+ C[/tex]

That's the whole point of an "integrating factor".

Likes gfd43tg
[tex] C_{B} e^{k_{2} \tau'} = \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} e^{(k_{2} - k_{1}) \tau'} + C [/tex]
My boundary condition is ##C_{B} = 0## at ##\tau' = 0##, this means ##C = -\frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}}##

Then the solution is
[tex] C_{B} = \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} e^{(k_{2} - k_{1}) \tau'} - \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}}[/tex]

But the solution given is
[tex] C_{B} = k_{1}C_{A0} \Big( \frac {e^{-k_{1} \tau'} - e^{-k_{2}
\tau'}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} \Big)[/tex]

Maylis said:
[tex] C_{B} e^{k_{2} \tau'} = \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} e^{(k_{2} - k_{1}) \tau'} + C [/tex]
My boundary condition is ##C_{B} = 0## at ##\tau' = 0##, this means ##C = -\frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}}##

Then the solution is
[tex] C_{B} = \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} e^{(k_{2} - k_{1}) \tau'} - \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}}[/tex]

No, so far you have [tex]
C_B e^{k_2 \tau'} = \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}} e^{(k_{2} - k_{1}) \tau'} - \frac {k_{1}C_{A0}}{k_{2} - k_{1}}.
[/tex]
Dividing both sides by [itex]e^{k_2 \tau'}[/itex] yields the given solution.

Likes gfd43tg
Woops, I see where I made my mistake. Thank you!

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function used to solve a differential equation with constants. It is multiplied to both sides of the equation to make it easier to solve.

2. How do you find the integrating factor?

To find the integrating factor, you first need to identify the differential equation as a first-order, linear equation with constants. Then, you need to find the coefficient of the highest derivative term and take the exponential of its integral. This will be your integrating factor.

3. Can an integrating factor be any function?

No, an integrating factor must have certain properties in order to be effective in solving a differential equation. It must be a continuous function and its derivative must be equal to the coefficient of the highest derivative term in the differential equation.

4. Why do we use integrating factors?

We use integrating factors to solve first-order, linear differential equations with constants because it simplifies the process and makes it easier to find a solution. It also allows us to solve equations that we otherwise wouldn't be able to solve using traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrating factors?

Yes, there are some limitations to using integrating factors. They can only be used to solve first-order, linear differential equations with constants. They also may not always work for every type of differential equation, so it's important to check if the integrating factor method is applicable before using it.