1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating factor

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Howdy, I've read this forum for some time, however this is my first post. I am attempting to solve this ODE. I am looking to find an integrating factor, then solve. I have attached the link to the problem set if my input here is ambiguous. Number 4d. Thank you kindly for any help you might lend.

My reasoning takes me as far as the integrating factor being exp(int( ? )dx)

https://people.creighton.edu/~lwn70714/DE_Assignments/DE Assignment 2 PDF.pdf
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

(2x^2+y)dx + [(x^2)*y-x]dy=0

Now you just need re-read your text-book about how to solve Pdx+Qdy=0, after checking some conditions on P&Q if such an equation has roots or none.
  4. Sep 25, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or can approach it this way:

So, after a quick check for homogeneous, exact, and explicit calc. of an integrating factor via partials, we expand the differentials and attempt to group them together to form exact differentials:

Well, the ydx-xdy can be grouped as:

This leaves us with:

[tex]2x^2dx+x^2ydy+y^2 d\left(\frac{x}{y}\right)[/tex]

Can you re-arrange this now to obtain exact differentials which can be integrated?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?