1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating factors for SDEs

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    Whenever I'm given a SDE problem that requires us to multiply both sides by an "integrating-factor", it's always given to us as a *Hint*. I would like to know how to come up with these integrating factors.

Here's some examples:

1) For the mean-reverting Ornstein-Uhlenbeck (OU) SDE [itex]dX_t = (m-X_t)dt+\sigma X_tdB(t)[/itex], the appropriate integrating factor is [itex]e^t[/itex].

2) For the non-mean-reverting OU SDE [itex]dX_t = uX_tdt + \sigma dB_t[/itex], the integrating factor is [itex]e^{-ut}[/itex].

3) For the SDE [itex]dX_t = udt + \sigma X_t dB_t[/itex], the integrating factor is [itex]e^{-\sigma B_t + \frac12 \sigma^2 t}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2
    Hi,
    I suppose you are at the beginning of ODE course,so integrating factors will be discussed later on.
    I hope you will find interest in the attached material here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    Thanks,

1) What attached material?
    2) I'm at the end of a financial mathematics course (stochastic calculus). Integrating factors are provided to us and we will never learn how to discover them. I want to learn how to do this -- they aren't going to teach this to me.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    The attached material concern ordinary differential equations.I suupose it is the same for stochastic.

Attached Files:

• IFM.pdf
      IFM.pdf
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook