Integrating Fresnel Functions (Double Integral)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a double integral with the help of changing the order of integration. The member is on the right track and has correctly identified the need to change the order. They also mention sketching the region on an x-t plane to determine the new bounds for integration. The conversation also includes a reminder to include the limits for both the "cos" and "sin" functions in the setup of the integral.
Eddie91

Homework Statement

All that is provided can be found through the following link:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6343/question2q.jpg

Homework Equations

No specific equations pertaining to solving double integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I know that we cannot integrate this with elementary functions as it stands at the moment. Experience with these double integral questions tells me that I should change the order of integration.

Here's my first problem though, and that's figuring out exactly what the new bounds should be (I think I'm getting caught up in all the variables). I sketched the region on an x-t plane, which essentially consisted of a line passing through the origin x=t, and making the observation that x = alpha = t.

Just considering integrating the "cos" function first, here's what I came up with:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9828/question2attempt.jpg

Am I on the right track? If not, how should I proceed?

I appreciate the help guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Based on your attempt at a solution, it seems like you are on the right track. Your intuition about changing the order of integration is correct, as that is often a useful strategy in solving double integrals.

To determine the new bounds for integration, it may be helpful to think about the geometry of the region being integrated. In this case, the region is bounded by the lines x=0, x=t, and x=alpha=t. This forms a triangle in the x-t plane, with vertices at (0,0), (alpha,0), and (alpha,alpha).

To integrate with respect to x first, the bounds for x would be 0 to t, as you have correctly identified. To integrate with respect to t second, the bounds would be from 0 to alpha, as this represents the upper limit for t within the triangle region.

Your attempt at setting up the integral for the "cos" function looks correct. Just be sure to also include the limits of integration for the "sin" function, which would be from 0 to t for the inner integral and from 0 to alpha for the outer integral.

I hope this helps guide you towards a successful solution. Good luck with your problem!

1. What are Fresnel functions?

Fresnel functions are a pair of special functions in mathematics that arise in the study of optics and wave phenomena. They are named after the French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel who first introduced them in the 19th century.

2. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional plane. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

3. How are Fresnel functions integrated using double integrals?

The Fresnel functions, denoted by S(x) and C(x), can be expressed as double integrals of trigonometric functions. S(x) is the integral of sin(t^2) from 0 to x, while C(x) is the integral of cos(t^2) from 0 to x. These integrals can be evaluated using various techniques such as trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts.

4. What are the applications of integrating Fresnel functions?

Fresnel functions have many practical applications, especially in optics and electromagnetic theory. They are used to calculate diffraction patterns, study the behavior of light waves passing through different mediums, and model the propagation of electromagnetic waves in wireless communication systems. They also have applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

5. Can Fresnel functions be integrated using numerical methods?

Yes, Fresnel functions can be integrated using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule, Trapezoidal rule, or Gaussian quadrature. These methods are useful when the integrals cannot be evaluated analytically or when a high degree of accuracy is required.