1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Natural Log

1. Jul 6, 2007 #1
    I'm having real problems integrating a natural log. The problem I have been set is (where S = integration sign)

S (x - 2) Ln(3x)

I'm trying to use the integration by parts rule but keep getting the wrong answer and I think it might be to do with the natural log. I have used

f(x) = Ln(3x) f'(x) = 1/x g'(x) = (x - 2) and g(x) = 1/2x^2 - 2x

Using the integration by parts formula, I end up with

Ln(3x) * x^2/2 - 2x + S1/2x - 2x

The answer is wrong..... Can someone help me out here.... Where am I going wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

observe that
    [tex]\int \log(x) dx= -x +x \log(x)[/tex] from integration by parts and
    [tex]\int x\log(x) dx=-x^2/4+ x^2 \log(x)/2[/tex] also from integration by parts

just check you workings again.
  4. Jul 6, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use parentheses where needed! Like what is 1/2x? Is it (1/2)*x or 1/(2*x)??? But check again what the product f'(x)*g(x) is.
  5. Jul 6, 2007 #4

D H

Staff: Mentor

Watch your parentheses and review the integration by parts rule. Hint: You have a sign error.
  6. Jul 6, 2007 #5
    Am I right in assuming that I am to use the integration by parts method and the values that I have chosen for f(x), f'(x), g'(x) & g(x) are correct?

Apologies for the parenthesis error.... I'm trying to learn how to use the equation package....
  7. Jul 6, 2007 #6
    Ok, here's a go at using Latex.... Hope this makes what I'm doing a bit clearer...

Right, From the initial problem

[tex] \int (x - 2) \ln(3x)[/tex] I have used

[tex]f(x) = \ln(3x) \ f'(x) = \frac{1}{x} \ g(x) = \frac{1}{2}x^2 - 2x \ g'(x) = (x - 2)[/tex]

By using the integration by parts formula, I have

[tex] \ln(3x) \times \frac{1}{2}x^2 -2x - \int \frac{1}{x} \times \frac{1}{2} x^2-2x[/tex]

Am I right in saying this up to now?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  8. Jul 6, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With the brackets in, it's correct.
  9. Jul 6, 2007 #8
    So we have

[tex] \int \frac{1}{x} \left[ \frac{1}{2}x^2 - 2x \right] dx \longrightarrow \frac{1}{4}x^2 - 2x[/tex]

to give us

[tex] \ln(3x) \left[ \frac{1}{2}x^2 - 2x \right] - \left[ \frac{1}{4}x^2 - 2x \right] [/tex]

Does this look ok? I think that maybe this is where I'm going wrong... However, I suspect my brackets were in the wrong place....
  10. Jul 6, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me.
  11. Jul 7, 2007 #10
    you know, it seems like you got the help you needed

but here's a suggestion

couldn't you distribute (ln 3x)

then integrate both seperately

you would still have to use integration by parts

but it would be easier to deal with
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?