1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating power series

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a power series representation for the given function using termwise integration.

[tex] f(x) = \int_{0}^{x} \frac{1-e^{-t^2}}{t^2} dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I figured I could rewrite it like this using the Maclaurin series for exp(-x) (plugging in t^2 for x):

[tex] \int_{0}^{x} \frac{1}{t^2} - \frac{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n (t^2)^{2n}}{n!}}{t^2} dt [/tex]. The series term in the integral works out fine, but the problem is that then my integral has the term 1/t^2, which integrates to -1/t, and I'm supposed to evaluate this from 0 to x, which is clearly bad at 0. What am I doing wrong? Is it the Maclaurin series for exp(-x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The first term in your Maclaurin series for e-t2 is 1, right? So 1 - e-t2 is just going to be all the other terms of the series, but with opposite signs.

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    Ha! That makes me feel very silly.

I was just thinking too hard... :rofl:

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook