1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Powers of sin

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

Okay so I am suposed to evaluate 2 of these:

1.) [tex]\int\sin^3(a\theta)d\theta[/tex] the solution manual looks

like it used a trig ID to do this. Why??

Doesn't [tex]\int\sin^3u du=\frac{1}{3}\cos^3u-(\cos u)+C[/tex] ?

So just use the u-sub [tex]u=a\theta \Rightarrow du/a=d\theta[/tex]

So it should just be [tex]\frac{1}{3a}\cos^3a\theta-\frac{1}{a}\cosa\theta+C[/tex] ?

But they got: [tex]-\frac{1}{a}\cos a\theta-\frac{1}{3a}\cos^3a\theta+C[/tex]

Why the negative -1/3a ? What did I miss? Is it my formula?

2.) For [tex]\int\sin^4(3x)\cos^3xdx[/tex] they went from <---that to

[tex]=\int\sin^4(3x)(1-sin^23x)\cos3xdx[/tex]

How the hell does that make this problem ANY easier?! Is there a formula for ^^^that!

Casey

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    You're using sin(u) like a variable, and integrating, which will certainly get you nowhere. One thing is that [tex] \int sin(u)^{3}[/tex] does not equal [tex]\frac{1}{3}\cos^3u[/tex]. You're going to have to use u-substitution, as you already have, and almost certainly some integration by parts.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would suggest you use the trig identity sin(x)^2=1-cos(x)^2, followed by u=cos(x).

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]=\int\sin^4(3x)(1-sin^23x)\cos3xdx[/tex]

If you let u=sin3x does that make it any easier?

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

I'll try that now. But why is my formula not producing the correct result if I am using u=a*theta ? Shouldn't it be 1/a *{Pug it in} ?

8. Oct 29, 2007 #7
    [tex]\int \sin^3(a\theta)d\theta = \int \sin(a\theta)d\theta - \int \sin(a\theta)\cos^2(a\theta)d\theta[/tex]

The first term should be easy for you to integrate, for the second term, try a substitution of

[tex]u = \cos(a\theta) \Rightarrow \frac{du}{d\theta} = -a\sin(a\theta) \Rightarrow \sin(a\theta)d\theta = -\frac{1}{a}du[/tex]

After which the equation simplifies a little.

Use a similar idea for the second one.

9. Oct 29, 2007 #8

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

So I got it using this. But I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong with the formula.

Casey

10. Oct 29, 2007 #9

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me like there is simply a typo in the book (the coefficient of the cos^3 should indeed be positive)

11. Oct 29, 2007 #10

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

Not if you use the trig substitution; it is negative. It is definitely a mistake on my part.

Casey

12. Oct 29, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's positive. (1-cos^(x)^2)*sin(x)*dx. u=cos(x), du=-sin(x)*dx. The u^3/3 term comes out with a plus sign.

13. Oct 29, 2007 #12
    did you mean [tex]\cos^{3}3xdx[/tex]?

14. Oct 29, 2007 #13

Saladsamurai

Gold Member

I don't know what I meant?! I figured it out though.

Thanks!
    Casey

15. Oct 29, 2007 #14
    i was trying to solve it for myself but then it saw that ... lol, is all good though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?