Integrating Powers of sin

1. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

Okay so I am suposed to evaluate 2 of these:

1.) [tex]\int\sin^3(a\theta)d\theta[/tex] the solution manual looks

like it used a trig ID to do this. Why??

Doesn't [tex]\int\sin^3u du=\frac{1}{3}\cos^3u-(\cos u)+C[/tex] ?

So just use the u-sub [tex]u=a\theta \Rightarrow du/a=d\theta[/tex]

So it should just be [tex]\frac{1}{3a}\cos^3a\theta-\frac{1}{a}\cosa\theta+C[/tex] ?

But they got: [tex]-\frac{1}{a}\cos a\theta-\frac{1}{3a}\cos^3a\theta+C[/tex]

Why the negative -1/3a ? What did I miss? Is it my formula?

2.) For [tex]\int\sin^4(3x)\cos^3xdx[/tex] they went from <---that to

[tex]=\int\sin^4(3x)(1-sin^23x)\cos3xdx[/tex]

How the hell does that make this problem ANY easier?! Is there a formula for ^^^that!

Casey

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. You're using sin(u) like a variable, and integrating, which will certainly get you nowhere. One thing is that [tex] \int sin(u)^{3}[/tex] does not equal [tex]\frac{1}{3}\cos^3u[/tex]. You're going to have to use u-substitution, as you already have, and almost certainly some integration by parts.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Dick

Dick 25,887
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would suggest you use the trig identity sin(x)^2=1-cos(x)^2, followed by u=cos(x).

6. rock.freak667

rock.freak667 6,230
    Homework Helper

[tex]=\int\sin^4(3x)(1-sin^23x)\cos3xdx[/tex]

If you let u=sin3x does that make it any easier?

7. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

I'll try that now. But why is my formula not producing the correct result if I am using u=a*theta ? Shouldn't it be 1/a *{Pug it in} ?

8. [tex]\int \sin^3(a\theta)d\theta = \int \sin(a\theta)d\theta - \int \sin(a\theta)\cos^2(a\theta)d\theta[/tex]

The first term should be easy for you to integrate, for the second term, try a substitution of

[tex]u = \cos(a\theta) \Rightarrow \frac{du}{d\theta} = -a\sin(a\theta) \Rightarrow \sin(a\theta)d\theta = -\frac{1}{a}du[/tex]

After which the equation simplifies a little.

Use a similar idea for the second one.

9. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

So I got it using this. But I am still trying to figure out where I went wrong with the formula.

Casey

10. nrqed

nrqed 3,083
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me like there is simply a typo in the book (the coefficient of the cos^3 should indeed be positive)

11. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

Not if you use the trig substitution; it is negative. It is definitely a mistake on my part.

Casey

12. Dick

Dick 25,887
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's positive. (1-cos^(x)^2)*sin(x)*dx. u=cos(x), du=-sin(x)*dx. The u^3/3 term comes out with a plus sign.

13. did you mean [tex]\cos^{3}3xdx[/tex]?

14. Saladsamurai

Saladsamurai 3,016
    Gold Member

I don't know what I meant?! I figured it out though.

Thanks!
    Casey

15. i was trying to solve it for myself but then it saw that ... lol, is all good though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?