Integrating Rational Function

In summary: C= \frac{(x+3)^2}{2} - 5(x+3) - \ln (x+3) + CIn summary, the integral of (x^2+x-7)/(x+3) can be solved by using polynomial division or by substituting u=x+3 and using u-integration. After substitution and simplification, the integral becomes (x+3)^2/2 - 5(x+3) - ln(x+3) + C.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Integrate the following:

Homework Equations

∫(x^2+x-7)/(x+3)

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can think of solving this would be to split up each term into a separate fraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Integrate the following:

Homework Equations

∫(x^2+x-7)/(x+3)

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I can think of solving this would be to split up each term into a separate fraction.

It's easier if you do the polynomial division. Divide (x^2+x-7) by (x+3).

how would i do that? i tried to separate the numerator into a product of two terms (x+3)(another term)... but that doesn't work.

whatlifeforme said:
how would i do that? i tried to separate the numerator into a product of two terms (x+3)(another term)... but that doesn't work.

No, factoring doesn't work. Hopefully you learned polynomial division at some point and then forgot you knew it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division

whatlifeforme said:

Why not substitute u = x+3 and do a u-integration instead?

Ray Vickson said:

Wouldn't that be a little too long as the numerator is not directly divisible by x+3?? or is there any shortcuts

so i would have:

1. ∫(x+3)(x-2) - 1 / (x+3)
2. ∫(x-2) - ∫1/(x+3) [i'm not sure how to take this integral though]

whatlifeforme said:
so i would have:

2. ∫(x-2) - ∫1/(x+3)

Yep that should work :)

whatlifeforme said:
[i'm not sure how to take this integral though]

Use a substitution of u=x+3, du=dx. A general rule of thumb is that if L is a linear function of x, then integrating

[tex]\int\left(f\left(L\left(x\right)\right)\right) \cdot\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

is a matter of making a simple substitution. Another thing I've learned is that when integrating functions, try making any substitutions which might simplify it and see where they get you, unless you're almost certain they won't get you anywhere.

whatlifeforme said:
so i would have:

2. ∫(x-2) - ∫1/(x+3) [i'm not sure how to take this integral though]

Same advice as to Hysteria X. Write ((x+3)(x-2)-1)/(x+3). That's what you really meant. That's the polynomial division part alright. The first integral is easy, the second is a substitution. Think 'log' for the actual integration.

i have for the answer:

x^2 - 2x - ln(x+3) + c

whatlifeforme said:
i have for the answer:

x^2 - 2x - ln(x+3) + c

I think the x^2 term is missing something.

Ray Vickson said:
For this integration, Ray's suggestion appears to be most straight forward. (I realize that in general it's important to know how to do long division when integrating a rational expression for which the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than hte degree of the denominator.)

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{x^2+x-7}{x+3}\,dx[/itex]

Let u = x+3  → x = u-3  → dx = du  → x^2+x-7 = (u-3)^2+(u-3)-7 = u^2 - 5u - 1

The integral becomes [itex]\displaystyle\ \ \int \frac{ u^2 - 5u - 1
}{u}\,du = \int (u-5-u^{-1})\,du[/itex]

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the quotient of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where both p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is the process of integrating a rational function?

The process of integrating a rational function involves finding the indefinite integral of the function, which is the most general antiderivative of the function. This is done by using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. How can I determine if a rational function is integrable?

A rational function is integrable if its denominator can be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. If the denominator cannot be factored in this way, then the rational function is not integrable.

4. What is the purpose of integrating rational functions?

Integrating rational functions is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It helps in solving various problems involving rates of change, finding the area under curves, and calculating volumes of three-dimensional shapes. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating rational functions?

Yes, there are some special cases when integrating rational functions. One such case is when the rational function has a constant in the numerator or denominator, in which case the integration can be simplified. Another special case is when the rational function has a repeated factor in the denominator, which requires a different integration technique called partial fractions.