1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating sine^x

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve by variation of parameters:
    y" + 3y' + 2y = sinex

2. Relevant equations
    Finding the complimentary yields:
    yc = c1e-x + c2e-2x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up the Wronskians and got:
    μ1 = ∫e-2xsin(ex)dx
    μ2 = -∫e-xsin(ex)dx

The problem is that I have no idea how to integrate sin(ex).

I tried subbing u = e-x du = -e-x for μ1
    => ∫-u du sin(u-1)
    Integration by parts either attempts to integrate sin(u-1) or endlessly integrates u without repeat.

That failed, so I tried just integrating by parts of μ1; it took 2 repetitions to get:
    μ1 = -½e-2xsin(ex) - ½e-xcos(ex) + ∫½sin(ex)dx
    I thought it might work if I get -ex∫½sin(ex)] in μ2
    μ2 = e-xsin(ex) - ∫cos(ex)dx

Going further into the integration by parts just adds more complications, such as adding "x" as a term as well as going into higher powers of ex.

I can't express the integral as a series; that's next chapter and not covered on the mid-term in a few days (I'm currently hoping the mid-term doesn't have this problem).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you try substitution: ##u=e^x##.

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    I did initially, but found it problematic since it ends up becoming ½∫sinu/u. If you keep on doing it it winds up being a giant beast of an equation which doesn't appear to match μ2 at all.

I thought part of it might equal μ2, but that didn't happen either. The two just keep mismatching cosine and sine functions endlessly.

I just realized I did the Wronskians wrong; the bottom isn't 1... And it ends up a LOT easier, but I still can't quite seem to get it right.
    With the correct Wronskian I instead got ∫sin(u)/u for μ1 and a nice and short -½cos(ex) for μ2. This does cause an elimination between the two equations, but I'm still getting a vast number of functions for μ1 that doesn't seem to have an end.

I'm going to check back on this in the morning.

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral ##\int \sin(e^x) \, dx = \text{Si}(e^x) + C##, where ##\text{Si}## is a "non-elementary" function.

6. Oct 21, 2014 #5
    Resolved: I kept working with substituting ex = u on both μ's and it actually works insanely well.

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done - getting the correct Wronskian is helpful too of course ;)
    (If the Wronskian was incorrect, does that make it a Wrightskian?)

Aside:
    The "non-elementary function" Si(x) in post #4 is called the Sine Integral and you can look it up.

For that matter, sin(x)/x is called "sinc(x)" ... and you can look that up too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted