Solve sine^x Variation of Parameters: y"+3y'+2y

In summary, the student struggled with integrating sin(ex) and eventually found a substitution that worked. They then solved the equation by variation of parameters.
Timberhead

Homework Statement

Solve by variation of parameters:
y" + 3y' + 2y = sinex

Homework Equations

Finding the complimentary yields:
yc = c1e-x + c2e-2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the Wronskians and got:
μ1 = ∫e-2xsin(ex)dx
μ2 = -∫e-xsin(ex)dx

The problem is that I have no idea how to integrate sin(ex).

I tried subbing u = e-x du = -e-x for μ1
=> ∫-u du sin(u-1)
Integration by parts either attempts to integrate sin(u-1) or endlessly integrates u without repeat.

That failed, so I tried just integrating by parts of μ1; it took 2 repetitions to get:
μ1 = -½e-2xsin(ex) - ½e-xcos(ex) + ∫½sin(ex)dx
I thought it might work if I get -ex∫½sin(ex)] in μ2
μ2 = e-xsin(ex) - ∫cos(ex)dx

Going further into the integration by parts just adds more complications, such as adding "x" as a term as well as going into higher powers of ex.

I can't express the integral as a series; that's next chapter and not covered on the mid-term in a few days (I'm currently hoping the mid-term doesn't have this problem).

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try substitution: ##u=e^x##.

I did initially, but found it problematic since it ends up becoming ½∫sinu/u. If you keep on doing it it winds up being a giant beast of an equation which doesn't appear to match μ2 at all.

I thought part of it might equal μ2, but that didn't happen either. The two just keep mismatching cosine and sine functions endlessly.

I just realized I did the Wronskians wrong; the bottom isn't 1... And it ends up a LOT easier, but I still can't quite seem to get it right.
With the correct Wronskian I instead got ∫sin(u)/u for μ1 and a nice and short -½cos(ex) for μ2. This does cause an elimination between the two equations, but I'm still getting a vast number of functions for μ1 that doesn't seem to have an end.

I'm going to check back on this in the morning.

Timberhead said:

Homework Statement

Solve by variation of parameters:
y" + 3y' + 2y = sinex

Homework Equations

Finding the complimentary yields:
yc = c1e-x + c2e-2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the Wronskians and got:
μ1 = ∫e-2xsin(ex)dx
μ2 = -∫e-xsin(ex)dx

The problem is that I have no idea how to integrate sin(ex).

I tried subbing u = e-x du = -e-x for μ1
=> ∫-u du sin(u-1)
Integration by parts either attempts to integrate sin(u-1) or endlessly integrates u without repeat.

That failed, so I tried just integrating by parts of μ1; it took 2 repetitions to get:
μ1 = -½e-2xsin(ex) - ½e-xcos(ex) + ∫½sin(ex)dx
I thought it might work if I get -ex∫½sin(ex)] in μ2
μ2 = e-xsin(ex) - ∫cos(ex)dx

Going further into the integration by parts just adds more complications, such as adding "x" as a term as well as going into higher powers of ex.

I can't express the integral as a series; that's next chapter and not covered on the mid-term in a few days (I'm currently hoping the mid-term doesn't have this problem).

The integral ##\int \sin(e^x) \, dx = \text{Si}(e^x) + C##, where ##\text{Si}## is a "non-elementary" function.

Resolved: I kept working with substituting ex = u on both μ's and it actually works insanely well.

Well done - getting the correct Wronskian is helpful too of course ;)
(If the Wronskian was incorrect, does that make it a Wrightskian?)

Aside:
The "non-elementary function" Si(x) in post #4 is called the Sine Integral and you can look it up.

For that matter, sin(x)/x is called "sinc(x)" ... and you can look that up too.

1. What is the general form of the differential equation y"+3y'+2y?

The general form of this differential equation is y"+p(x)y'+q(x)y = g(x), where p(x) = 3 and q(x) = 2.

2. What is the method of variation of parameters?

The method of variation of parameters is a technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations of the form y"+p(x)y'+q(x)y = g(x). It involves finding a particular solution by varying the parameters in the complementary solution.

3. How do you use variation of parameters to solve sine^x Variation of Parameters: y"+3y'+2y?

To use variation of parameters to solve this differential equation, first find the complementary solution by solving the associated homogeneous equation y"+3y'+2y = 0. Then, use the formula y_p = u_1y_1 + u_2y_2, where u_1 and u_2 are functions of x and y_1 and y_2 are the solutions of the homogeneous equation. Substitute this particular solution into the original equation and solve for u_1 and u_2. Finally, combine the complementary and particular solutions to get the general solution.

4. What is the role of the Wronskian in variation of parameters?

The Wronskian is used to determine whether the two solutions of the associated homogeneous equation are linearly independent. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the solutions are linearly independent and the method of variation of parameters can be used to find a particular solution. If the Wronskian is zero, then an alternative method, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, must be used to find a particular solution.

5. Can variation of parameters be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, variation of parameters can only be used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It cannot be used to solve non-linear or homogeneous differential equations.