Integrating the area of a disc

In summary: So, if you have a ring of inner radius r and thickness dr, and you want to find the area, the area is approximately 2*r*dr. If you change the dimensions to be r*dr, the area becomes 2*(r*dr) and if you change it to be r*dR, the area becomes 2*(r*dR). So, the area is always a function of the inner radius, the thickness, and the dimension R.
Hakins90

Homework Statement

Finding the area of a disc by integration of rings.

Homework Equations

A ring of radius r and thickness dr has an area of [tex]2 \pi rdr[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Why isn't it [tex] \pi (2rdr + (dr)^2)[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hakins90 said:
Why isn't it [tex] \pi (2rdr + (dr)^2)[/tex]?

I don't understand - why do you think it might be? :confused:

What would [tex] \pi (dr)^2[/tex] represent?

The exact area of the ring is pi*((r+dr)^2-r^2)=pi(2*r*dr+dr^2), indeed. But in the integration we are taking the limit of a sum of these where dr->0. The limit of the terms involving dr^2 will go to zero. You can ignore corrections involving higher powers of 'infinitesimals' like dr.

Oh dear... i posted too quickly.

I just realized why it isn't.

My old reasoning was that the ring's area = the area enclosed by the outside circumference - the area enclosed by the inside circumference.

[tex] A = \pi (r+dr)^2 - \pi r^2
= \pi (r^2 + 2rdr + (dr)^2 - r^2)
= \pi (2rdr + (dr)^2) [/tex]I now realize that the ring's radius is measured from the centre of the width of the ring.

so
[tex] A = \pi (r+ \frac{1}{2} dr)^2 - \pi (r- \frac{1}{2} dr)^2
=\pi (r^2 +rdr + \frac{1}{4} (dr)^2 - r^2 + rdr - \frac{1}{4} (dr)^2)
= 2 \pi rdr [/tex]

EDIT: Oh you posted before i saw... We both have different reasons. Who is right?

If r and dr are the same, then those are the areas of two different rings. If dr is a finite number then you'd better pay attention to which is which. But,either calculation works for integration once you ignore higher powers of dr.

Hakins90 said:
Oh dear... i posted too quickly.

I just realized why it isn't.

My old reasoning was that the ring's area = the area enclosed by the outside circumference - the area enclosed by the inside circumference.

[tex] A = \pi (r+dr)^2 - \pi r^2
= \pi (r^2 + 2rdr + (dr)^2 - r^2)
= \pi (2rdr + (dr)^2) [/tex]

This reasoning is correct, in my opinion.
When I was in school, the explanation I got from my teacher was that while doing integration we add infinitesimally small quantities. The quantity dr is very small and so [tex]dr^2[/tex] will be even smaller...like [tex]0.000001^2=0.000000000001[/tex] , so we neglect the [tex]dr^2[/tex] thing from that expression.

The simplest way to do the original problem is to say that the area of a small ring, of inner radius r and thickness dr is approximately [itex]2\pi r[/itex], the length of the ring, times dr, the thickness. That would be exactly correct if it were a rectangle of length [itex]2\pi r[/itex] and width dr. The point is that in the limit, as we change from Riemann sum to integral, that "approximation" becomes exact (the "[itex]dr^2[/itex] in your and Dick's reasoning) goes to 0 : the area is given by [itex]\int \pi r dr[/itex].

Can someone explain to my why this is a physics problem and not a mathematics problem?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a disc?

The formula for finding the area of a disc is A = πr², where r is the radius of the disc and π is a constant value approximately equal to 3.14.

2. How is the area of a disc related to calculus?

The area of a disc can be found by using integration, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. Integration involves finding the total accumulation of small changes over an interval, which in this case is the small changes in radius that make up the disc's area.

3. Can the area of a disc be found using any other method besides integration?

No, integration is the only mathematical method for finding the area of a disc. Other methods such as using geometric shapes or trigonometric functions will only give an approximation of the area.

4. What are the units of measurement for the area of a disc?

The units of measurement for the area of a disc will be in squared units, such as square meters or square inches, since the area is being calculated by multiplying a length measurement (radius) by another length measurement (πr).

5. Can the formula for finding the area of a disc be used for other shapes?

No, the formula for finding the area of a disc is specific to circular shapes only. Other shapes will have different formulas for finding their area, depending on their geometric properties.