Integrating the function 1/x^2. Something I don't understand

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function f(x) = \frac{1}{x ^ 2} and the confusion surrounding its integral \int \frac{1}{x ^ 2}dx = - \frac{1}{x} + C. The speaker is unsure why the integral is negative when f(x) is always positive and why it is not equal to positive infinity. Eventually, it is clarified that the discontinuity at x=0 causes the integral to be improper and not converge in the traditional sense.
VietDao29
Homework Helper
While integrating the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x ^ 2}[/tex], I came across something I don't understand:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x ^ 2}dx = - \frac{1}{x} + C[/tex]
Let [tex]f(x) := \frac{1}{x ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]f(x) > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx = -1 - (-(-1)) = -2[/tex]:confused:
Why this happened? :confused: It's obvious that [tex]f(x) > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] and -1 < 1, but why [tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx < 0[/tex]
:confused:
I think it should be : [tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx = + \infty[/tex]
What have I done wrong? :cry:
Viet Dao,

Physics news on Phys.org
VietDao29 said:
While integrating the function [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x ^ 2}[/tex], I came across something I don't understand:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x ^ 2}dx = - \frac{1}{x} + C[/tex]
Let [tex]f(x) := \frac{1}{x ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]f(x) > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx = -1 - (-(-1)) = -2[/tex]:confused:
Why this happened? :confused: It's obvious that [tex]f(x) > 0, \forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] and -1 < 1, but why [tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx < 0[/tex]
:confused:
I think it should be : [tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx = + \infty[/tex]
Viet Dao,

It's an improper integral.

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
...I think it should be : [tex]\int_{-1}^{1}f(x)dx = + \infty[/tex]
Viet Dao,
There's a discontinuity in f(x) at x = 0.

You can't integrate over a range that includes a discontituity.

The fundamental theorem does not hold as 1/x^2 is not continuous at x=0. It is also an improper integral that does not converge in the traditional sense.

Last edited:
Yup, thanks for the help. I see what I missed now. :smile:
Viet Dao,

What is the function 1/x^2?

The function 1/x^2 is a mathematical function that represents the reciprocal of the square of x. In other words, it is the inverse of x^2.

What does it mean to integrate a function?

Integrating a function is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under the curve of the function. It is the opposite of differentiation, which involves finding the slope of the function at a specific point.

Why is integrating 1/x^2 important?

Integrating 1/x^2 is important because it can help us solve various real-world problems, such as calculating the force of gravity or finding the area of a circle. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many scientific fields.

What is the general formula for integrating 1/x^2?

The general formula for integrating 1/x^2 is ∫1/x^2 dx = -1/x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be derived using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

Can you provide an example of integrating 1/x^2?

Sure, let's integrate the function 1/x^2 from 1 to 3. Using the general formula, we get ∫1/x^2 dx = -1/x + C. Plugging in the limits of integration, we get ∫1/x^2 dx from 1 to 3 = (-1/3 + C) - (-1/1 + C) = -1/3 + 1 + C - (-1 + C) = -1/3 + 1 + C + 1 - C = -1/3 + 2 = 1 2/3. Therefore, the area under the curve of 1/x^2 from 1 to 3 is 1 2/3 square units.