1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating to find moments?

1. Jan 25, 2015 #1
    I am trying to get more familiar with using calculus in unfamiliar situations, although I am stuck when thinking about moments. I am considering a wall that is depressed 0.7m into the ground and sticks out above ground by 2.0m (and has a width of w metres) and I am assuming that wind speed varies linearly with height about ground so that the wind speed at the ground is zero and at 2m is a max speed of V_0, so that V=V_0 h/2.

Now assuming the wind is stopped by the wall, the pressure of the wind at a given height is [itex]P=\frac{Force_{on small area,dA}}{dA}=\frac{mass per second_{hitting area,dA} v_{wind speed}}{dA}=\frac{\rho_{air}vdA v}{dA}=\rho v^2 = \rho v_0^2 h^2/4[/itex]

Now to find the total force of the wind, I would integrate the pressure with respect to the area, and since the width of the wall w is constant, this turns out to be
    [itex]\int_{0}^{2}Pwdh =\rho w v_0^2/4 \int_{0}^{2}h^2dh[/itex]

But then for the moment about the lowest edge of the wall wedged into the ground, it would be [itex]\int_{0.7}^{2.7}Fdh[/itex] but the force is an integral of h because it is pressure x w x dh, so how do I deal with integrating with respect to h twice? Could someone please explain the principles behind this as well because I am really trying to improve my skills in applying calculus...

Note: I realise that this sounds like a homework question, but it is not. It is just something I was thinking about and trying to fiddle with myself. If it would be better suited to the homework thread though, I would be happy to move it, it's just that my main question is about applied calculus methods rather than just finding an answer to a question :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2015 #2
    I also think I may have made a mistake because in my calculation for the pressure at a given height, I assumed that the height h=0 occurs at ground level, and I used this resulT of pressure in my caulculation for the moment, however in my calculation for the moment I assumed that the point 0.7m below ground was zero, so then I think it pressure equation no longer applies. Is there a way I can go about this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook