Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating to find the volume

1. May 15, 2005 #1

Aki

Help, I'm trying to find the hypervolume of a hypersphere and I'm stuck on this:

[tex]V^4= 2(\frac{4\pi} {3}) \int_0^r (\sqrt{r^2-x^2}) ^3 dx [/tex]

I don't know how to do the integration, and I can't expand the [tex](\sqrt{r^2-x^2}) ^3 [/tex]
    The answer should be [tex] \frac{\pi ^2}{2}r^4 [/tex]

Please help, thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2
    can you please state the original problem in it's entirety?

what are your coordinate conversions (i.e. what is [itex]x[/itex] in terms of [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], etc.)?

often times by converting to other coordinates (hyperspherical coordinates, in this case) the integral becomes simpler.

4. May 15, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyway,it's useless.The hypersphere has zero volume.

Daniel.

5. May 15, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The hypersphere does have a "hyper-volume" (or, more generally, a "measure")!

Aki: in order to integrate [tex]V^4= 2(\frac{4\pi} {3}) \int_0^r (\sqrt{r^2-x^2}) ^3 dx [/tex], did you consider using a trigonometric substitution, say x= r sin(θ)?

6. May 15, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the BALL,the hypersphere (the S_{3} being the smallest in dimension) is a hypersurface and has zero hypervolume.

Daniel.

7. May 15, 2005 #6

Aki

[tex]x=r \cos \theta , \sqrt {r^2 - x^2} = r \sin \theta , dx = -r \sin \theta d\theta [/tex]

8. May 15, 2005 #7
    The volume enclosed by a hypersphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?