Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating with Law of Cos

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    I hope I am posting this in the correct area. This is not specificly a homework question, but something that keeps stumping me on numerous Electrostatic problems.

When attempting to Intigrate for finding the electric field or potential, I frequently end up with an integral over the form ∫∫∫ [itex]r^{2}[/itex] / ( [itex]r^{2}[/itex] + [itex]b^{2}[/itex] - 2rb cosθ) dr sinθ dθ dΦ

I was wondering if there is some sort of method the integrate this that I seem to be missing. A basic U sub doesn't work, and I can't get Integration by parts to do anything but make it worse. I have never been very good at remembering the trig tricks to integration so I was really hoping someone could help me out here. I am lost, and this is costing me lots of points on homeworks and tests.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2
    Also after being stumped for days, I am pretty sure that the way the law of cosines is layed out... that cosθ is equivelent to Adjasent / Hyp = b/r which would simplify the entire denominator to a simple [itex]r^{2}[/itex] - [itex]b^{2}[/itex]

This look at all correct? I have added a picture so you can see the layout

stuff.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook