How to Integrate ∫x(2^x^3)dx Using Substitution and Logarithms

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the student is struggling to solve the integration problem ∫x(2^x^3)dx and has attempted to use substitution with x^3 and 2^x^3 as u. They have made progress by using log_2 but have reached a point where they are unsure how to proceed. A hint is provided in the form of a similar thread where the OP faced a similar problem. It is also noted that the expression 2^x^3 can be interpreted as either (2^x)^3 or 2^(x^3) and the latter leads to a nonelementary integral. The student is advised to use a gamma function if their integrand is x 2^(x^3).
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

∫x(2^x^3)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using substitution using both x^3 and 2^x^3 as u.

I did get pretty far by using log_2 on each side.

∫log_2(x2^x^3)dx=∫(log_2(x)+log_2(2^x^3))dx=∫(log_2(x)+x^3)dx

At this point I'm not sure what to do, any help or hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

∫x(2^x^3)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using substitution using both x^3 and 2^x^3 as u.

I did get pretty far by using log_2 on each side.

∫log_2(x2^x^3)dx=∫(log_2(x)+log_2(2^x^3))dx=∫(log_2(x)+x^3)dx

At this point I'm not sure what to do, any help or hints would be appreciated.

Two points. i) you can't take log inside an integral and get anything having anything to do with the original integral. ii) 2^x^3 doesn't mean anything. You mean either (2^x)^3 or 2^(x^3). They are very different. I suspect you mean (2^x)^3. That you can do with some work and integration by parts. 2^(x^3) leads to a nonelementary integral.

It was 2^(x^3) all multiplied by x.

If your integrand is ##x 2^{(x^3)}## as opposed to ##x (2^x)^3## then you need some species of a gamma function to get an integral. Have you talked about those?

1. What is the purpose of integrating with logs?

Integrating with logs allows for the collection and analysis of data from various sources, providing valuable insights and aiding in troubleshooting and problem-solving.

2. How do you integrate logs with other systems or platforms?

Integrating logs can be achieved through various methods such as using API calls, installing agents or connectors, or utilizing a log management platform that supports integrations.

3. What types of logs can be integrated?

Logs from various sources such as applications, servers, network devices, databases, and security tools can be integrated for a comprehensive view of an organization's systems and processes.

4. Can logs be integrated in real-time?

Yes, logs can be integrated in real-time, providing immediate visibility and alerting for any potential issues or anomalies.

5. How can integrating with logs benefit an organization?

Integrating with logs can provide numerous benefits, such as improved operational efficiency, faster troubleshooting and problem-solving, enhanced security, and better decision-making through data-driven insights.