Solving for the Integral of the Inverse Function f-1(y)dy

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary: Essentially, if you can find a function that satisfies the equation for y, then you can find its inverse by substituting x for y in the equation.
MathewsMD
Question: Suppose f is continuous, f(0) = 0, f(1) =1, f'(x) > 0, and ∫01f(x)dx = 1/3. Find the value of the integral of f-1(y)dy

One solution is to assess the function as if it were a function of y. I understand that method and have arrived at the answer.

But I am curious to see if there is another solution since I have been unable to come up with another method besides just looking at the graph visually after I rotate it. If there is a more general answer to assessing the integral of inverse functions, that would be great if you could provide an explanation as well!

Also, if you were asked to solve this: ∫01 d/dx f-1(y)dy, is it possible with the information given above alone? If not, what additional information is necessary?

Also, are there any general rules when integrating inverse functions?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Question: Suppose f is continuous, f(0) = 0, f(1) =1, f'(x) > 0, and ∫01f(x)dx = 1/3. Find the value of the integral of f-1(y)dy
Presumably the second integral is
$$ \int_0^1 f^{-1}(y)dy$$
I get a value of 2/3 for this integral.
MathewsMD said:
One solution is to assess the function as if it were a function of y. I understand that method and have arrived at the answer.
I don't understand what you're saying.
If y = f(x), and f'(x) > 0, then f is increasing. This also implies that f is one-to-one, so has an inverse that is a function. This means that the equation y = f(x) can be written as x = f-1(y), which is an equivalent equation. IOW, any pair (x, y) that satisfies y = f(x) also satisfies x = f-1(y).

From the given information, we can sketch a reasonable graph of f. The curve has to be concave up, since the value of the given integral is 1/3, which is less than half of the area of the rectangle whose opposite corners are at the origin and (1, 1).

This integral--
$$\int_0^1 f^{-1}(y)dy = \int_0^1 x dy$$
-- represents the area of the region bounded below by the graph of f, to the left by the y-axis, and above by the line y = 1. The typical area element of this integral is a thin horizontal strip that is x in length (= f-1(y)) by Δy in width.
MathewsMD said:
But I am curious to see if there is another solution since I have been unable to come up with another method besides just looking at the graph visually after I rotate it.
There's no need to rotate anything, if you understand how a function and its inverse are related.
MathewsMD said:
If there is a more general answer to assessing the integral of inverse functions, that would be great if you could provide an explanation as well!

Also, if you were asked to solve this: ∫01 d/dx f-1(y)dy, is it possible with the information given above alone?
Sure. Since x = f-1(y), the integrand can be simplified to d/dx(x), or 1, integrated with respect to y.
MathewsMD said:
If not, what additional information is necessary?

Also, are there any general rules when integrating inverse functions?

Thank you so much!

Here's what I've worked out:

##\int_0^1 f^{-1}(f(x)) \cdot f'(x)dx = \int_{f(0)}^{f(1)} f^{-1}(u)du = \int_0^1 f^{-1}(u)du ## from substituting u = f(x). However the first integral also gives

##\int_0^1 f^{-1}(f(x)) \cdot f'(x)dx = xf(x)\Bigg|_0^1 - \int_0^1f(x)dx ## noting that ## f^{-1}(f(x))## = x and using integration by parts.

This last simplifies down to 1 - 1/3 =2/3. Agreeably, this is what Mark44 gets.

While this is probably equivalent to what you did with the y, I think this method states the matter pretty generally.

Likes 1 person

What does it mean to integrate with respect to y?

Integrating with respect to y means finding the area under a curve in the y direction. This is done by taking the integral of a function with respect to y, which represents the height of the curve at each point.

Why is it important to integrate with respect to y?

Integrating with respect to y allows us to find the volume of three-dimensional objects and calculate other important quantities, such as center of mass and moment of inertia. It is also crucial in solving many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the process for integrating with respect to y?

The process for integrating with respect to y involves first identifying the limits of integration, which determine the range of y values over which the integration will take place. Then, the function is integrated with respect to y, treating all other variables as constants. The resulting expression is then evaluated using the limits of integration to find the final answer.

Can integrating with respect to y be used in multivariable calculus?

Yes, integrating with respect to y is a common technique used in multivariable calculus to find double and triple integrals. It is an important tool for finding the volume of complex three-dimensional shapes and for solving optimization problems involving multiple variables.

How does integrating with respect to y differ from integrating with respect to x?

Integrating with respect to y and x are similar processes, but they differ in the orientation of the integration. Integrating with respect to y finds the area under the curve in the y direction, while integrating with respect to x finds the area under the curve in the x direction. This can lead to different results, so it is important to use the correct orientation when integrating.