How Do I Integrate Kinematics Problems with Units?

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating kinematics problems, specifically the example of velocity= Be^(-rt), where B= 3.00 m/s and r=0.500 s^-1. The question is raised about the units of the integral, which becomes meters even though velocity has the unit of m/s. It is then explained that the unit of "t" is in seconds and the exponential part is dimensionless. The conversation ends with the problem being resolved and thanks given for the help.
noypingpogi
hello, I'm new to the forums. Can someone help me with integrating kinematics problems? For example velocity= Be^(-rt), where B= 3.00 m/s and r=0.500 s^-1. i don't understand how the integral's unit becomes m (since the integral of velocity is displacement). someone help me! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
noypingpogi said:
hello, I'm new to the forums. Can someone help me with integrating kinematics problems? For example velocity= Be^(-rt), where B= 3.00 m/s and r=0.500 s^-1. i don't understand how the integral's unit becomes m (since the integral of velocity is displacement). someone help me! thanks
You forgot the unit of "t". "rt" is a dimensionless number. Velocity has the unit of "m/s", and if you integrate in respect to "t" you have to multiply this unit by "s".

[tex]\int B e^{rt} \mathrm{d}t = \frac{B}{r} e^{rt}[/tex]
On the left, you have B (m/s) times dt (s), giving units of meters; on the right, B (m/s) divided by r (1/s), again giving meters. As A.T. said, the exponential part is dimensionless.

yes, i figured it out. "t" is in seconds which makes e^-rt dimensionless (since s^-1 * s = 1). thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of integrating with units?

The purpose of integrating with units is to ensure that calculations and measurements are accurate and consistent, by incorporating the appropriate units of measurement into the integration process.

2. How do you convert units when integrating?

To convert units when integrating, you can use conversion factors or unit conversion formulas to change the units from one system to another. It is important to ensure that all units used in the integration are compatible.

3. What are the common units used in integration?

The most common units used in integration are those from the International System of Units (SI), such as meters (m), seconds (s), kilograms (kg), and amperes (A). Other commonly used units include feet (ft), hours (hr), pounds (lb), and ounces (oz).

4. Can different units be used in the same integration?

Yes, different units can be used in the same integration as long as they are compatible. For example, meters and centimeters are compatible units, but meters and seconds are not. It is important to convert all units to the same system before performing the integration.

5. How do units affect the final result of an integration?

Units play a crucial role in the final result of an integration. Incorrect units or unit conversions can lead to significant errors in the final result. It is important to pay attention to units and ensure they are consistent throughout the integration process.