1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating y''/y

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How would you find the integral of y''/y (with respect to x)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have absolutely no idea how to begin. All I know is that if it were y'/y, it would be log(y) + c. Perhaps the integral here has something to do with logs.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    Try integration in parts, where f(x) = y''(x), g'(x) = 1/y(x).
    You should arrive to a new integral you can solve...

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Tomer's suggestion is good but I think a more common notation would be u= 1/y, dv= y'' dy.

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how either of these substitutions help to solve this problem. y is a function of x and the variable of integration is x.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    I haven't for a second assumed x isn't the variable of integration.
    However, trying to solve it now on paper I noticed that what I first though would be a solvable integral isn't really.
    Do you have any ideas then?

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6
    If:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left[\frac{y'}{y}+\left(\frac{d}{dx}\log y\right)^2\right]=\frac{y''}{y}[/tex]

then isn't:

[tex]\int \frac{y''}{y}=\frac{y'}{y}+\left(\frac{d}{dx}\log y\right)^2[/tex]

Not entirely sure guys. Just a start.

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7
    What you say is right, but I don't see how the first formula you wrote is correct.

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    Ok, it's wrong. Sorry.

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9
    It's ok, apparently we're all wrong :-)

11. Aug 30, 2011 #10

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it seems that the starting point in post #6 can't possibly be right. It could only be right if the derivative of the second term in brackets is zero, which can't possibly be true, in general.

12. Aug 30, 2011 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will be a bit more emphatic. You aren't going to find a nice closed form general solution with any such techniques.

13. Aug 30, 2011 #12

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it is equivalent to asking what is a general formula for the solution of the following homogeneous, linear second order equation with non-constant coefficients:

y'' - f(x) y = 0

which is absurd (unless f(x) is special in some way).

14. Aug 30, 2011 #13
    Why is this absurd? If I can say that [itex]\int\frac{y'(x)}{y(x)}[/itex] = ln(y(x)), which is a closed form general solution, why should the given integral be absurd?

I don't see any way to find a closed formula, but I also don't see why the question should be meaningless.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  15. Aug 30, 2011 #14

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't meaningless, it is just well understood - it has been studied (stated as diff.eq.) for centuries. All facts about it are known. It is known that there are solutions for many common f(x), but no formula for a general solution.

16. Aug 31, 2011 #15
    I understand :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook