1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration: Action Variable J

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in one dimension subject to the potential

[tex] V = \frac{a}{\sin^2(x/x_0)} [/tex]

Obtain an integral expression for Hamilton's characteristic function. Under what conditions can action-angle variables be used? Assuming these are met, find the frequency of oscillation by the action-angle method. (The integral for J can be evaluated by manipulating the integrand so that the square root appears in the denominator.)

2. The relevant equations

I set up a Hamiltonian

[tex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{a}{\sin^2(x/x_0)} [/tex].

Since it doesn't depend on time explicitly, then I can express Hamilton's principal function S as

[tex] S = W(x, \alpha) + \alpha t [/tex].

The Hamilton-Jacobi equation is then given by

[tex] \frac{1}{2m} \left( \frac{\partial W}{\partial x} \right)^2 + \frac{a}{\sin^2(x/x_0)} = \alpha [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a.) Obtain an integral solution for Hamilton's characteristic function.

Isolating the partial derivative of the characteristic function W, I get an integral expression

[tex]W = \int \sqrt{2m\alpha - \frac{2ma}{\sin^2(x/x_0)}} dx [/tex].

b.) Under what conditions can action-angle variables be used?

The condition that must be met is [tex] \alpha \geq \frac{a}{\sin^2(x/x_0)}} [/tex].

c.) Assuming these are met, find the frequency of oscillation by the action-angle method. (The integral for J can be evaluated by manipulating the integrand so that the square root appears in the denominator.)

For finding the frequency of oscillation, I'm having a problem with integrating the action variable J:

[tex] J = \int p dx = \int \sqrt{2m\alpha - \frac{2ma}{\sin^2(x/x_0)}} dx [/tex].

I tried to follow the hint, so I got

[tex] J = \int \frac{2m\alpha - \frac{2ma}{\sin^2(x/x_0)}}{\sqrt{2m\alpha - \frac{2ma}{\sin^2(x/x_0)}}} dx [/tex].

Still, I'm stuck. How do I integrate this? Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?