Integration and differentiation

In summary: Sof(x)= \frac{dF}{dx} In summary, the antiderivative and area under the curve are the same thing because the slope of a curve and the area under the curve are opposites of each other. The antiderivative is a function while the integral is a real number. The standard proof for this is based on the graph of a continuous function and taking the limit as x approaches a.
jd12345
Why is antiderivative and area under the curve the same thing? Its not at all intuitive to me

Derivative is the slope at a point and its opposite is area?? Can someone just explain me why when we are finding an antiderivative, we are actually finding area under the curve

i don't buy the fact that slope of a curve and area under the curve ae opposite of each other

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my! Right now you're undergoing your very first mathematical crisis! I've been there some years ago and trust me, eventually you will understand it.

I recommend you read a book by William Dunham, "The mathematical universe" chapters D, K and L.

It's something you must discover by your own. For now I can just say that you are confusing "antiderivative" with "integral", which are quite different things. The first is a function, while the later is a real number.

The standard proof is this- look at the graph of y= f(x), a continuous. Let the area under the curve, above y= 0, and between x= a and x, be F(x). Let [itex]x^*[/itex] be a value x at which F takes its maximum, [itex]x_*[/itex] a value at which F takes its minimum on [a, x]. Then we must have [itex]f(x_*)(x- a)\le F(x)\le f(x^*)(x- a)[/itex]. Then
[tex]\frac{F(x_*)}{x- a}\le f(x)\le\frac{F(x^*)}{x- a}[/tex]
Because both x* and [itex]x_*[/itex] are between a and x, if we take the limit as x goes to a, x* and [itex]x_*[/itex] will also both go to a. But then,
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{F(x_*)}{x-a}= \lim_{x\to a}\frac{F(x^*)}{x- a}= \frac{dF}{dx}[/tex] and we have
[tex]\frac{dF}{dx}\le f(x)\le \frac{dF}{dx}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are two fundamental concepts in mathematics, specifically in calculus. Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, while differentiation is the process of finding the slope or rate of change of a curve.

2. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

The main difference between integration and differentiation is that integration deals with finding the area under a curve, while differentiation deals with finding the slope or rate of change of a curve. Integration is the inverse operation of differentiation.

3. Why are integration and differentiation important?

Integration and differentiation are important because they allow us to analyze and solve problems involving changing quantities, such as motion, growth, and decay. They are also essential in many fields of science, engineering, and economics.

4. What are the basic rules of integration and differentiation?

The basic rules of integration include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, as well as the sum and difference rule and the constant multiple rule.

5. How are integration and differentiation used in real life?

Integration and differentiation are used in real life to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, integration is used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the distance traveled, and differentiation is used to calculate the velocity of an object at a specific time.