1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration and natural logs

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate (-m-kx)^-1 dx from a to b.

3. The attempt at a solution

So using the integral form I get the integral of (-m-kx)^-1 dx is (-1/k)*[ln(-m-kx)] with the bracketed expression being evaluated between a and b.

(-1/k)*[ln(-m-ka) - ln(-m-kb)]
    My first problem with this is that if we assume m,k,a,b are all positive then the negative argument of the natural log function will lead the function to not have a proper result, but if we use properties of log's to adjust the expression we arrive at an equivalent expression:

(-1/k)*ln((-m-ka)/(-m-kb))
    which is equivalent to
    (-1/k)*ln((m+ka)/(m+kb))
    which DOES have a proper answer since the argument of the log function is now positive... what voodoo is going on here!?

Furthermore and most frusturating of all is that the back of my book says the integral should come out to (-1/k)*ln((m+kb)/(m+ka)). However this book is infamous for typo's so the answers can't be trusted. Any mathamagical mavericks out there wanna spread some light on my dilemma's?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Why not start the integration as
    [tex]
    \int_a^b \dfrac{1}{-m-kx} \, dx = \int_a^b \dfrac{-1}{m+kx} \, dx = -\int_a^b \dfrac 1 {m+kx} \, dx
    [/tex]

and see how your integral turns out?

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Whether the numbers are positive or not is not directly relevant: [tex]\int \frac{du}{u}= ln|u|+ C[/tex].

Of course, you will want to let u= -m- kx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted