1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration and trig

1. Dec 25, 2005 #1

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's say I wanted to find the length of the perimeter of a semi-circle using integration with x(t) = cos(t) and y(t) = sin(t). I would do like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{sin(t)^2 + cos(t)^2} dt
    = \int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{1} dt
    = \pi[/tex]

now if I wanted to do it for the whole circle I would do it like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{sin(2t)^2 + cos(2t)^2} dt
    = \int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{1} dt
    = \pi[/tex]

Now obviously I made a mistake: I didn't replace 2x with u (etc...). But my question is: why can't I do this? What rule stops me from eliminating the cos^2 + sin^2 and getting the wrong answer?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2005 #2
    Well even if you make the substitution u=2t you would still arrive at an answer of just pi, becuase you have to account for du = 2dt.

4. Dec 25, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If [itex]x = \cos(2t)[/itex] then [itex]dx^2 = 4 \sin^2(2t) dt^2[/itex] and similarly for y so your distance/perimeter formula is incorrect.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  5. Dec 25, 2005 #4

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No wonder I was having trouble doing the problem, I forgot to differentiate x(t) and y(t)! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?