Integrating to Find Perimeter of Semi-Circle/Circle Using x(t) & y(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of the perimeter of a semi-circle using integration and the mistake of not replacing 2x with u in order to get the correct answer. It is also mentioned that the distance/perimeter formula used was incorrect due to not accounting for the substitution of u=2t. The conversation concludes with the realization that the x(t) and y(t) should have been differentiated.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's say I wanted to find the length of the perimeter of a semi-circle using integration with x(t) = cos(t) and y(t) = sin(t). I would do like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{sin(t)^2 + cos(t)^2} dt
= \int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{1} dt
= \pi[/tex]

now if I wanted to do it for the whole circle I would do it like so:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{sin(2t)^2 + cos(2t)^2} dt
= \int_{0}^{\pi} \sqrt{1} dt
= \pi[/tex]

Now obviously I made a mistake: I didn't replace 2x with u (etc...). But my question is: why can't I do this? What rule stops me from eliminating the cos^2 + sin^2 and getting the wrong answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well even if you make the substitution u=2t you would still arrive at an answer of just pi, becuase you have to account for du = 2dt.

If [itex]x = \cos(2t)[/itex] then [itex]dx^2 = 4 \sin^2(2t) dt^2[/itex] and similarly for y so your distance/perimeter formula is incorrect.

Last edited:
Tide said:
If [itex]x = \cos(2t)[/itex] then [itex]dx^2 = 4 \sin^2(2t) dt^2[/itex] and similarly for y so your distance/perimeter forumula is incorrect.

No wonder I was having trouble doing the problem, I forgot to differentiate x(t) and y(t)! :rofl:

What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a semi-circle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a semi-circle is P = πr + 2r, where r is the radius of the semi-circle.

Can x(t) and y(t) be used to find the perimeter of a semi-circle?

Yes, x(t) and y(t) can be used to find the perimeter of a semi-circle. x(t) and y(t) represent the parametric equations for the semi-circle, where x(t) = rcos(t) and y(t) = rsin(t).

How do you integrate x(t) and y(t) to find the perimeter of a semi-circle?

To integrate x(t) and y(t), you can use the formula for arc length: L = ∫√(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2 dt. By substituting x(t) and y(t) into this formula, you can integrate to find the perimeter of the semi-circle.

What is the difference between finding the perimeter of a semi-circle and a circle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a circle is P = 2πr, while the formula for finding the perimeter of a semi-circle is P = πr + 2r. The semi-circle's perimeter includes the straight line segment that connects the two ends of the semi-circle, while the circle's perimeter does not.

Can this method be used to find the perimeter of any curve?

No, this method can only be used to find the perimeter of a semi-circle or circle. Other curves may require different equations or methods to find their perimeter.