Solving Integration and Work Problems in 1st Year University

In summary, the 5 year old is pushed into the bath at a constant speed by his father, and the friction between the floor and the child's socks creates a force which is applied towards the child. The father exerts a force of 47.81 newtons upon the child, which is insufficient to overcome the child's weight and the child loses energy due to the frictional force.
mspaic
hey guys I'm in first year university

ok these problems should seem really easy but our teacher hasn't done crap in the class so i have a problem gettin it
if someone can help me these two i feel like i could do the rest by myself
thanks a lot

-------
A reluctant 5-year old, whose mass is 26.2 kg, is pushed at constant speed into a washroom for a bath. His father pushes him 9.53 m along a level floor with a force directed 28.1° below the horizontal. If the co-efficient of kinetic friction between the floor and the child's socks is 0.186, how much work is done by his father in pushing him into the washroom?

How much energy was lost through the frictional force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces acting on the child and consider the sum of these forces if the child is moving at a constant speed. Recall that [tex]F_k = \mu_kF_n[/tex] where [tex]F_n[/tex] is the normal force from the surface of the level floor and [tex]\mu_k[/tex] is the coefficient of kinetic friction. Also recall that [tex]W = Fdcos(\theta)[/tex]

PS Welcome to PF!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey thanks a lot
i really appreciate it
i'll go and try to do the problems now

vsage, u go to the univeristy of florida

GATORS rock baby
lol bad loss today against the bulldogs

Yeah I was at the game. Go gators! It was painful though :(

man i don't know why i can't get it
i know the force exerted by the father is the same as the force exerted by friction

so F= 9.81*26.2*.186=47.81N

so

w= 47.81 *(cos 118.1) *9.53 = -214.6 J

i also tried 214.6 J

this program gives me 10 tries to get it right

the angle i got was 118.1 degrees becasu he was pushing below he horizontal so the that's the difference between the force and the displacement in degrees

any other suggestions

He was pushing at an angle of 28.1 degrees. That means the force was applied towards the object (child). 118.1 degrees would be correct if he was pulling the child but then he'd go the wrong way :P.

Hope that helps.

that gives me 402 j.. which is also wrong lol

maybe the trick is in the ''5 year old" because when you are 5 i think your muscle structure starts to grow so maybe i should triple the force normal

NO?

oh well it was worth a try lol

You have to remember that the father is pushing at 28.2 degress below the horizontal. He is using cos(28.2) of his force to push the child in the horizontal direction, and using sin(28.2) of his force to push the child down, adding to the weight of the child, and consequently to both the normal force and the kinetic friction opposing the horizontal force of the father.

Think of it this way, slid your physics book across the table, it is very easy, now, try pushing down hard on the book while sliding it, it is harder to push now, not only because you are using force to push it down, but it also takes more force to push it horizontally because you are making the atoms in the book interact more strongly with the table and thus it is harder to overcome friction and move the book.

Hope this helps,

~Lyuokdea

ok i see what you are saying

however I'm still not sure for one part of the problem

W=Ff*d

we have d (9.53 m) so i need to find the force of friction

Ff=MkN

We have Mk (.186) so i need to find the force normal

the parts I'm going to put "" is the part I'm not sure

N= ( (9.81)(26.2) + (sin28.1) " (9.81)(26.2) "))

see you were talking about the horizontal component to his pushing, which would add to the force normal. however, I'm not sure what to multiply the sin28.1 by. Like for example, if it said "the father was pushing with 60.2 N, i would multiply it by sin28.1 *60.2 . however, i don't know the force he is exerting so i can't find the horizontal compontent of that force.

any tips

mspaic said:
see you were talking about the horizontal component to his pushing, which would add to the force normal. however, I'm not sure what to multiply the sin28.1 by. Like for example, if it said "the father was pushing with 60.2 N, i would multiply it by sin28.1 *60.2 . however, i don't know the force he is exerting so i can't find the horizontal compontent of that force.
You need to solve for that force! Call it "F". Set up equations for the vertical and horizontal components. (Both vertical and horizontal forces add to zero.) You'll have two equations and two unknowns, F and N.

Solve for F. (or N) Then use it to calculate the work.

Hey, that's like the exact problem I am having trouble with, except my numbers are a bit different.

So far this is what I have

Fxnet = F(father)X - fk = 0
Fynet = N - (W+(F(father)Y) = 0

I drew a graph, I used the angle from this problem just so that I don't confuse anyone.

Edit: Meh!, seems the image link won't work :grumpy:

So basically

Now for the force of the father I think it's equal to

cos 61.9 degrees = (9.8 * 26.2)/F(Father)X

F(Father)x = 256.76N/cos 61.9

So am I doing this right, or have I misunderstood the question somehow?

Last edited:

1. How can I improve my understanding of integration and work problems in 1st year university?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding is to actively practice solving problems. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also ask your professor or teaching assistant for extra practice problems or attend study groups with classmates to discuss and solve problems together.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration and work problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to check your units, not simplifying your answer, and not properly setting up the integral or work equation. It is also important to carefully follow the steps of integration and work problem solving and double-check your work for any errors.

3. How can I approach a difficult integration or work problem?

Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify any relevant formulas or concepts that may help you solve the problem. If you are stuck, try working backwards from the given answer to see if it leads you to a solution. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or classmates.

4. Are there any useful resources for practicing integration and work problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available for practicing integration and work problems. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and textbooks specifically focused on calculus or physics.

5. How important is it to understand integration and work problems for other areas of science?

Integration and work problems are fundamental concepts in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. Understanding these concepts is crucial for solving real-world problems and for further studies in these fields. Additionally, the problem-solving skills developed in solving integration and work problems can be applied to other areas of science and in everyday life.