1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration - areas

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area enclosed by the y axis, the line y = 3 and the curve x = y^2

2. Relevant equations

[/b]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

Area = [tex]\int[/tex] 3 to 0 y^2.dy
    = (1/3 y^3) 3 to 0
    = (1/3 x 27)
    = 9 sq units

Im not really confident on the y axis questions, can you please confirm my understanding. If this same area is then rotated 360 degrees about the y -axis, can I seek guidence on how to do this. Cheers P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What you did is correct. If you aren't comfortable with questions involving the y-axis, you can always change the question so it can be equivalently integrated with the x-axis. For example, x=y2 between y=3 and the y-axis has the same area as y=x2, x=3 and the x-axis :smile:

Do you know the formulae (or even better, derive the formulae) for volumes of revolution?

If y=f(x) is rotated about the x-axis between a and b, the volume is [tex]\pi\int_a^b\left(f(x)\right)^2dx[/tex]

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    Thanks Mentallic

Yes, I realise I know the volume formulae. I calculate the volume would be 48.6 units cube - do you mind checking?

Cheers P

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Um, no. Show me your working and I'll point to where you went wrong.

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
  7. Jun 7, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yeah exactly, so why are you saying it's 48.6 u3? Whatever happened to the [itex]\pi[/itex]? :tongue:

8. Jun 7, 2010 #7

Sorry, oooopppsss, can I say 48.6pi u3? I got the impression that I had gone horribly wrong. Manythanks for you responses.

Cheers P

9. Jun 7, 2010 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Of course, all you did was convert the fraction to a decimal, so there's no point but yeah, sure I guess :tongue:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook