Integration around infinity

That's pretty handy.In summary, the definition of improper integrals over infinite symmetric domains involves taking two separate limits and not just a single Cauchy Principle Value. This is because infinite intervals are not truly symmetric, and defining the integral in this way allows for the extension of old theorems and properties for Riemann integrals.
member 428835
hey pf!

can someone shed some light on why odd integrals don't necessarily converge over infinite symmetric domains?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you would think they should. Perhaps it is because you are thinking of infinite intervals as "symmetric" when they aren't. The integral [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) dx[/itex] is defined as
"[itex]\lim_{A\to\infty}\int_{-A}^a f(x)dx+ \lim_{B\to\infty} \int_a^B f(x)dx[/itex]" where the two limits must be taken independently.

(The "Cauchy Principle Value" is defined as [itex]\lim_{A\to\infty} \int_{-A}^A f(x)dx[/itex]. If the original integral exists then the Cauchy Principle Value is equal to it. The Cauchy Principle Value may exist when the integral does not, such as for an odd function where the Cauchy Principle Value is 0, but that is NOT the integral and does not have a great deal of use.)

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see why you would think they should. Perhaps it is because you are thinking of infinite intervals as "symmetric" when they aren't. The integral [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) dx[/itex] is defined as
"[itex]\lim_{A\to\infty}\int_{-A}^a f(x)dx+ \lim_{B\to\infty} \int_a^B f(x)dx[/itex]" where the two limits must be taken independently.
i was never aware of this definition, but now it makes perfect sense. why is it we have defined the reimann integral over [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex] in this way? why not define it as the Cauchy Principle Value suggests (i've studied real analysis, so if you want to get rigorous in your response, i may be able to keep up for a little while)?

also, does this mean that [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sin (x) dx = 0[/itex] when invoking the Cauchy Principle Value?

joshmccraney said:
i was never aware of this definition, but now it makes perfect sense. why is it we have defined the reimann integral over [itex](-\infty,\infty)[/itex] in this way? why not define it as the Cauchy Principle Value suggests (i've studied real analysis, so if you want to get rigorous in your response, i may be able to keep up for a little while)?

also, does this mean that [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sin (x) dx = 0[/itex] when invoking the Cauchy Principle Value?

It's technically not a Riemann integral. Riemann integrals are only defined on closed intervals.

There are likely many reasons why improper integrals are defined the way they are as opposed to accepting the Cauchy Principle Value as the definition. I'll just give two.

1) If one were to define the Riemann integral over an interval like (-∞,∞) in a manner similar to the way it is defined over closed intervals, one would need to ensure that the Riemann sums over non-symmetric partitions converged to the same value (and at all) as the Riemann sums over symmetric partitions.

2) When you define convergent improper integrals the way that we do, a lot of the old theorems and properties for Riemann integrals can be extended to the new kind of integral. For instance, ##\int_a^bf=\int_a^cf+\int_c^bf## still works. Also ##f## integrable on ##I## ##\Rightarrow## ##f## integrable on all ##J\subset I## is still true.

1. What is integration around infinity?

Integration around infinity is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve that extends infinitely in one direction. It is a type of improper integral and is typically used in calculus to solve problems involving infinite limits or unbounded functions.

2. How is integration around infinity different from regular integration?

Regular integration is used to find the area under a curve between two finite boundaries. Integration around infinity, on the other hand, involves finding the area under a curve that extends infinitely in one direction. This often requires special techniques and methods to solve.

3. What types of functions typically require integration around infinity?

Functions that have an asymptote or extend infinitely in one direction usually require integration around infinity. Examples include logarithmic functions, rational functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve integration around infinity problems?

Some common techniques used to solve integration around infinity problems include using substitution, partial fraction decomposition, and integration by parts. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior to determine the most appropriate method to use.

5. Can integration around infinity be used to find the area under a curve in both directions?

No, integration around infinity is only used to find the area under a curve that extends infinitely in one direction. If you need to find the area under a curve in both directions, you would need to split the integral into two parts and use regular integration for each part.