How can I integrate ln(2x+1) using integration by parts?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, to solve the integral \int ln(2x+1)dx, you can use the substitution u = 2x + 1 and then split the integral into two simpler integrals using polynomial long division. Another method is to use integration by parts, starting with the integral \int ln(x)dx and then substituting u = 2x + 1. Both methods result in a simpler integral that can be easily solved.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

[tex]\int ln(2x+1)dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]u = ln(2x+1)[/itex]
[itex]du = \frac{2}{2x+1}[/itex]
[itex]v = x[/itex]
[itex]dv = dx[/itex]

[tex]\int ln(2x+1)dx = xln(2x+1)-2\int \frac{x}{2x+1}dx[/tex]

And there is where I am stuck. I can't use trig substitution either. I don't know how to integrate x/(2x+1). I tried successive integrations by part, they didn't work. I tried u-substitution, no luck. Wolfram alpha wasn't any help in solving this either. I know there must be a way for my to solve it using only substitution and integration by part. Can someone just point me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you do

u = 2x + 1
du = 2dx

New integral becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \ln(u) du[/tex]

Now do integration by parts

flyingpig said:
I recommend you do

u = 2x + 1
du = 2dx

New integral becomes

[tex] \frac{1}{2}\int \ln(u) du[/tex]

Now do integration by parts

But there is an x on top of that integral?

[tex]\int \frac{x}{2x+1} dx[/tex]
u = 2x+1
[tex] \int \frac{x}{2u}du[/tex]

Then I can't really do anything with that x? Or you mean integrate by parts now?

Let's try to use a different symbol...[tex]\alpha = 2x + 1 [/tex]
[tex]d\alpha = 2dx[/tex]

New integral becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \ln(\alpha) d\alpha[/tex]

flyingpig said:
Let's try to use a different symbol...

[tex]\alpha = 2x + 1 [/tex]
[tex]d\alpha = 2dx[/tex]

New integral becomes

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \ln(\alpha) d\alpha[/tex]
Which is essentially the integral QuarkCharmer started with.

A simpler way to go is to do polynomial long division in x/(2x + 1) to get 1/2 - (1/2)/(2x + 1). This results in a much simpler integral.

Mark44 said:
Which is essentially the integral QuarkCharmer started with.

A simpler way to go is to do polynomial long division in x/(2x + 1) to get 1/2 - (1/2)/(2x + 1). This results in a much simpler integral.

Yeah, but you don't have to deal with the fractions

I started with flyingpigs idea..

[tex]Y = \int ln(2x+1) dx[/tex]

[tex]\int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - 2 \int \frac{x}{2x+1}[/tex]

Let Z = 2x+1
So that dZ/dx = 2

[tex]\int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - 2 (\int \frac{x}{Z})[/tex]

[itex]u = x[/itex]
[itex]du = dx[/itex]
[itex]dv = \frac{1}{Z} \frac{1 dZ}{2}[/itex]
[itex]v = \frac{1}{2}ln(Z)[/itex]

So now I have:
[tex]\int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - 2(\frac{1}{2} xln(Z)- \frac{1}{2} \int ln(Z)dx )[/tex]
Now I stick back in for Z:
[tex]\int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - 2(\frac{1}{2} xln(2x+1)- \frac{1}{2} \int ln(2x+1)dx )[/tex]

Now, I think that since the initial problem was the integral of ln(2x+1), and in the beginning I let Y = the initial problem, I can say that:

[tex]Y = \int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - 2(\frac{1}{2} xln(2x+1)- \frac{1}{2} Y)[/tex]

[tex]Y = \int ln(2x+1) dx = xln(2x+1) - xln(2x+1) + Y)[/tex] /distributing the 2 through

Awe wait, that's going to make Y = Y...

Can you please explain both of your methods? I don't see how polynomial long division will work here, nor can I see the substitution flyingpig is talking about. Forgive my ignorance.

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]u = ln(2x+1)[/itex]
[itex]du = \frac{2}{2x+1}[/itex]
[itex]v = x[/itex]
[itex]dv = dx[/itex]

[tex]\int ln(2x+1)dx = xln(2x+1)-2\int \frac{x}{2x+1}dx[/tex]

And there is where I am stuck.

To finish this off, use polynomial long division to divide x by 2x + 1. When I do this, I get 1/2 - (1/2)/(2x + 1).

This means that the last integral above is
[tex]-2\int \frac{x}{2x+1}dx = \int \left(-1 + \frac{1}{2x + 1}\right)dx[/tex]

Split the integral on the right into two. One of them is really easy, and the other can be done using an ordinary substitution.

If you don't know how to do polynomial long division, I believe there's a page on Wikipedia that shows how and gives some examples.

flyingpig said:
Yeah, but you don't have to deal with the fractions
I would much rather deal with fractions than with a ponderous integration by parts that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Mark44 said:
I would much rather deal with fractions than with a ponderous integration by parts that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

But it's just ln(x) as the integrand.

@QuickCharmer, my integral involving alpha is a "new" integral

Actually, the integrand is ln(2x + 1), from what you have in post #4, and this is the same as what you started with.

Mark44 said:
Actually, the integrand is ln(2x + 1), from what you have in post #4, and this is the same as what you started with.

Yeah but the 2x + 1 thing and what comes after is bothering Quark. He looks proficient with by parts.

I've got a good feeling on this one

Just start by integrating ln(x), use integration by parts on that. Once you do that, you'll see this problem becomes much easier, and you'll be able to use the substitution u=2x+1.

Others above may have said this, but let u = 2x + 1. Then x = (u - 1) / 2. You then get 2 easy integrals.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and is useful when the integrand cannot be easily integrated by other techniques.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand is a product of two functions, one of which can be easily integrated while the other cannot. It is also useful when the integrand contains a polynomial multiplied by an exponential or trigonometric function.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv and du are their respective differentials.

How do I choose u and dv?

When applying the integration by parts formula, u and dv can be chosen in many ways. A common method is to let u be the function that becomes simpler after differentiating and dv be the function that becomes easier to integrate after integration. However, there is no set rule for choosing u and dv, and it often requires trial and error.

Can integration by parts be used multiple times?

Yes, integration by parts can be used multiple times if the resulting integral still contains a product of two functions. In this case, the formula would be applied repeatedly until the integral is reduced to a point where it can be easily evaluated.