Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Parts and Series

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1
    This isn't really a homework question, more just something I noticed while evaluating an integral and was curious about:

ZOppbEt.gif
    K6pqVBR.gif

At this stage, I was able to simplify the expression before solving for the integral algebraically (since the second iteration yielded the original integral the right side) and in doing so I came to the correct answer. I noticed however that I could have kept applying integration by parts over and over again.

Had I done this, would it be possible to evaluate the integral by applying some property of series to the coefficient​s to see if they converge at some value? I know that the best way to solve the integral is the method I ended up using, but I was just curious if there were some relationship between integrals, coefficients, and series. I only have a conceptual understanding of series at this point so pardon me if my question isn't a valid one.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but we can get some insight into this problem using linear algebra.

Throughout, I will ignore the "##+C##" associated with the indefinite integral, or equivalently, choose ##C = 0##.

If we let ##f(\theta) = e^{2\theta}\sin(3\theta)## and ##g(\theta) = e^{2\theta}\cos(3\theta)##, then we can consider ##f## and ##g## as elements of the vector space of all continuous functions. Clearly ##f## and ##g## are linearly independent: one is not a scalar multiple of the other. So ##f## and ##g## span a subspace of dimension 2. Note that integration is a linear operator on this vector space. If we denote this operator by ##L##, your calculations show that
    $$L(f) = -\frac{1}{3} g + \frac{2}{3}L(g)$$
    $$L(g) = \frac{1}{3}f - \frac{2}{3}L(f)$$
    We may express ##L## as a matrix ##M## with respect to the basis ##\{f,g\}## as follows:
    $$M\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -2/3 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -1/3 \end{pmatrix}$$
    $$M\begin{pmatrix}2/3 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1/3 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
    Stacking these together into one equation, we get
    $$M\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2/3 \\ -2/3 & 1 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1/3 \\ -1/3 & 0\end{pmatrix}$$
    Solving for ##M## gives us
    $$M = \begin{pmatrix}2/13 & 3/13 \\ -3/13 & 2/13 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{13}} \begin{pmatrix}2/\sqrt{13} & 3/\sqrt{13} \\ -3/\sqrt{13} & 2/\sqrt{13} \end{pmatrix} $$
    Since ##(2/\sqrt{13})^2 + (3/\sqrt{13})^2 = 1##, we see that ##M## is of the form
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}\begin{pmatrix}\cos(x) & \sin(x) \\ -\sin(x) & \cos(x) \end{pmatrix}$$
    which is a rotation by the angle ##x = \cos^{-1}(2/\sqrt{13})## and a scaling by ##1/\sqrt{13}##.

This makes it quite easy to see what the answer will be if you apply the operator (i.e. integrate) repeatedly, say ##n## times. Since
    $$M^n = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}\right)^n \begin{pmatrix}\cos(nx) & \sin(nx) \\ -\sin(nx) & \cos(nx) \end{pmatrix}$$
    the result of integrating your ##f## function ##n## times will be
    $$\begin{align}
    L^n(f) &=
    M^n\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} \\
    &= \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}\right)^n \begin{pmatrix}\cos(nx) \\ -\sin(nx)\end{pmatrix} \\
    &= \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{13}}\right)^n (f(\theta) \cos(nx) -g(\theta)\sin(nx))\end{align}$$

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. Jun 4, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much, I wasn't expecting such a detailed or helpful response.

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I think
    jbunniii interpreted the question a little differently than I did.

If we integrate by parts 2n times we will see

$$\int \! e^{2\theta}\sin(3\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta=
    \tfrac{1}{13}e^{2\theta}[2\sin(3\theta)-3\cos(3\theta)]+ \\
    \left(-\tfrac{4}{9}\right)^n \left\{ -\tfrac{1}{13}e^{2\theta}[2\sin(3\theta)
    -3\cos(3\theta)]+\int \! e^{2\theta}\sin(3\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta \right\}$$

from which we make the same conclusion as before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook