Integration by parts constants

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of \int\frac{dx}{x} and how it can be approached using integration by parts. There is also a brief discussion about a similar problem involving \int e^{ax}\sin(bx)dx. The conversation ends with a lighthearted exchange about making mistakes and learning from them.
Yegor
It's not homework, but i think it can make someone think a little.
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
Take it by parts.
If you'll be as careless as me you can make a discovery :rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set v'=1/x, u=1.

I'm clearly not understanding this (and it really belongs in the Calculus section rather than Homework).

Using arildno's suggestion: [tex] dv= \frac{1}{x}dx[/tex], u= 1 just means that you have to integrate [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex] directly.

The only other possibility is dv= dx, [tex]u= \frac{1}{x}[/tex] so that v= x, [tex]du= \frac{-1}{x^2}[/tex]. Then integration by parts gives [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x}= (x)\frac{1}{x}- \int\frac{-xdx}{x^2}= 1+ \int\frac{dx}{x}[/tex] which is certainly true allowing for different constants of integration.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a trick question, HallsofIvy:
He wanted to see if someone besides himself made a sign error so that you "get", say:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x}=1-\int\frac{dx}{x}\to\int\frac{dx}{x}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Nope,my guess is it must have been 1=0.

Daniel.

This can applied to any basic integral. Example:

[tex]\int xdx[/tex]

I'll take this by parts.

dv = x
u = 1

[tex]\int udv = uv-\int vdu[/tex]

[tex]\int xdx = 1*\frac{x^2}{2}-\int \frac{x^2}{2}*0dx + C_1[/tex]

The [itex]C_1[/itex] from the first integral and the [itex]C_2[/itex] from [itex]\int 0 dx[/itex] can just be called [itex]C[/itex]

So the resulting answer is the same:

[tex]\int xdx = \frac{x^2}{2} + C[/tex]

I'm sorry to say I find this a little pointless...

Of course you can do that, Jameson.
I wasn't particularly serious about the whole thing, since the original post was, after all, rather silly.

I wasn't directing that at you... it was to the OP. I think it's agreed that this is silly.

Allright.
But, to take the thread into a bit of defense:
I'm sure we can recognize Yegor's feeling:
We do a calculation over and over again and get some complete nonsense out of it.

Then, slapping our head, we realize what an idiotic mistake we've made, and will start laughing over the whole matter .
I don't think Yegor ever meant it to be serious, since he had a :rofl: in his post, and perhaps want to share the joke with others.

Of course i disappoint you, but i meant exactly what Daniel wrote (0=1).
I just had some associations with [tex]\int e^{ax}\sin(bx)dx[/tex], where we have to make similar trick. And that's why posted it here.
Don't be so strict, please, if someone isn't so brainy as you and pays attention to silly things.

This is for Arildno: :tongue: My intuition was simply sublime :wink: :approve:

Daniel.

P.S.Yegor,only smart people learn from mistakes.Welcome aboard ! :smile:

Yes, you were absolutely divine today, daniel.

Yegor said:
Of course i disappoint you, but i meant exactly what Daniel wrote (0=1).
I just had some associations with [tex]\int e^{ax}\sin(bx)dx[/tex], where we have to make similar trick. And that's why posted it here.
Don't be so strict, please, if someone isn't so brainy as you and pays attention to silly things.
Okay, sorry that I phrased myself in a manner which seemed contemptuous towards you. That was not my intent at all, but evidently the result anyway.

Sorry about that.

1. What is integration by parts constants?

Integration by parts constants is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It involves breaking down the integral into simpler parts and then applying a formula to solve for the value of the integral.

2. How do you determine which function to differentiate and which function to integrate in integration by parts?

In integration by parts, the function that is chosen to be differentiated is typically the one that becomes simpler after multiple differentiations. The function to be integrated is usually the one that remains more complex after multiple integrations.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts constants?

The formula for integration by parts constants is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their respective differentials.

4. How do you know when to use integration by parts constants?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) cannot be easily integrated using other methods, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

5. Can integration by parts constants be used to solve definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts constants can be used to solve definite integrals. However, it is important to remember to apply the limits of integration to both the uv term and the remaining integral after integration by parts is performed.