1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts headache

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    Integration by parts....

I just started Calc. II and though I struggle a bit, it's fascinating. I have been fooling with a problem lately...one of those standard problems that professors like to assign, and it usually appears in calculus texts:

Have ya'll ever done integration by parts with secx? A friend of mine worked it out for me, but I have had trouble reaching the solution on my own. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case ya'll hadn't run into it! It is a fun kind of headache.

-Gin

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Ginny,

I'm scooting this over to our Homework section.

Now, on to your question: Are you talking about integrands that contain powers of [itex]\sec(x)[/itex], or just the [itex]\sec(x)[/itex] itself? The reason I'm asking is that it is normal to integrate odd powers greater than 1 of the secant function by parts, but not so normal to integrate the secant function itself by parts.

4. Sep 30, 2005 #3
    That integral doesn't really require integration by parts... You have to mulitply by a form of one, which can be hard to see.

[tex]\int \sec{x}dx= \int \sec(x)*\frac{\sec(x)+\tan(x)}{\sec(x)+\tan(x)}dx[/tex]

You can do a u-substitution from there.

5. Sep 30, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Or use the substitution [itex]t = \tan \left( {x/2} \right)[/itex]

6. Sep 30, 2005 #5
    Or [tex]\sec x = \frac{1}{{\cos x}}\left( {\frac{{\cos x}}{{\cos x}}} \right) = \frac{{\cos x}}{{\cos ^2 x}} = \frac{{\cos x}}{{1 - \sin ^2 x}}[/tex] and use substitution + partial fractions. It's one of the longer ways of doing it but it is an alternative. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?