Domain and Evaluation of Double Integral with Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the integral of e^{-x^{3}}dx and suggests using integration by parts, but ultimately concludes that the integral does not exist in terms of elementary functions. The conversation then shifts to discussing a question involving a similar integral and suggests sketching the domain of integration and then evaluating it. It is also mentioned that answering one's own question is not helpful.
2RIP

Homework Statement

How can i find the integral of [tex]\int e^{-x^{3}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using integration by parts, but it doesn't seem to give a nice way to solve either.

Physics news on Phys.org

I do not believe this integral exists in terms of elementary functions. Is it part of a question? If so, post the question.

Sketch the domain of integration of the integral [tex]\int^{1}_{0}dy\int^{1}_{\sqrt{y}} e^{-x^{3}}dx [/tex] and then evaluate it.

2RIP said:
Sketch the domain of integration of the integral [tex]\int^{1}_{0}dy\int^{1}_{\sqrt{y}} e^{-x^{3}}dx [/tex] and then evaluate it.

Are you answering you own question? If so, that's nonsense.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions, where one function is differentiated and the other is integrated. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and can be used to simplify complex integrals.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful when you have an integral with a product of two functions that cannot be easily integrated using other techniques, such as substitution or the power rule. It can also be used to find integrals involving trigonometric functions and logarithmic functions.

3. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

The key to choosing the correct functions for integration by parts is to use the acronym "LIATE". This stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. When integrating a product of two functions, always choose the first function to be the one that appears first in the acronym and the second function to be the one that appears last.

4. Can I use integration by parts to solve definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve definite integrals. After applying the integration by parts formula, you can then evaluate the integral using the limits of integration.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is to forget to apply the formula more than once. This may be necessary when the integral produced by the first application is not any simpler than the original integral. Another mistake is to choose the wrong functions for integration by parts, such as choosing two algebraic functions or two exponential functions, which will not simplify the integral.