Integration by Parts in Several Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for integration by parts in multivariable calculus, its notation, and the relationship between Gauss's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem. The professor did not provide a proof for the formula and the student's question about the necessity of a closed curve in the line integral. The conversation also clarifies that Gauss's Theorem and the Divergence Theorem are referring to the same concept.
amcavoy
My professor gave me the following formula for integration by parts in my multivariable calculus class. He said that we wouldn't find it in our book, and he didn't provide a proof. I have tried to work through it, but I am still left with one question: Why is it necessary that the curve is closed (the line integral)?

[tex]\int\int_{D}f(x,y)\frac{\partial g}{\partial x,y}dA=\oint_{\Sigma}f(x,y)g(x,y)\mathbf{n}\cdot d\mathbf{s}-\int\int_{D}g(x,y)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x,y}dA[/tex]

For lack of a better notation, I used [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x,y}[/tex] to represent the fact that the derivative could be with respect to either x or y.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss's theorem states

[tex] \int\int\int_{V} \vec{\bigtriangledown} \cdot \vec{F} d \tau = \oint_{S} \vec{F}\bullet\textbf{n}dS [/tex]

substitute [tex] F = fg [/tex] anad do the algebra

Ok, by Gauss's Theorem do you mean the Divergence Theorem? I haven't heard of it referred to as that before and wanted to make sure they're the same :smile:

[tex]\iint\limits_S\mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{S}=\iiint\limits_V\operatorname{div}\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:
Ok, by Gauss's Theorem do you mean the Divergence Theorem?
That is correct :smile:

1. What is integration by parts in several variables?

Integration by parts in several variables is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals involving multiple variables. It is an extension of the traditional integration by parts method used for single variable integrals.

2. When is integration by parts in several variables used?

Integration by parts in several variables is typically used when evaluating integrals involving multiple variables, such as in multivariable calculus or in physics and engineering problems involving multiple dimensions.

3. How does integration by parts in several variables work?

Integration by parts in several variables involves breaking down a multiple variable integral into smaller, simpler integrals and then applying the integration by parts formula to each of these smaller integrals. The resulting integrals are then combined to solve for the original integral.

4. What is the integration by parts formula for several variables?

The integration by parts formula for several variables is: ∫ u dv = u ∫ dv - ∫ (∂u/∂x) (∫ dv/dx) dx, where u and v are functions of multiple variables and ∂u/∂x and ∫ dv/dx represent the partial derivatives of these functions with respect to the variable x.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals using integration by parts in several variables?

One useful tip for solving integrals using integration by parts in several variables is to choose u and dv carefully, as different choices can lead to different results. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with the integration by parts formula and its applications in various scenarios.