1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts mistake

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-02-09at41900AM.png

In this video from which there is a screen shot above the author went from x/2 to 2x and all he said was half is two quarters. right a half is two quarters it is not 2. I just want to make sure that he made a mistake because i've been seeing some real bizarre things in the solution manual re integration by parts that i do not understand. everything else in the above simplification i understand except how

x/2 cos becomes 2x cos

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2
    Notice the [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] outside the bracket? [itex]\frac{x}{2} cos[/itex] becomes [itex]\frac{1}{4}(2x*cos[/itex]

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    I would think 1/4 * x/2 would make x/8.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4
    Indeed. Look at what I wrote, again. Let me rephrase it: [itex]\frac{x}{2} cos[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}(2x*cos[/itex]

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    are you saying somehow they got (x/2)/(1/4). That would make 1/2 * 4, but I don't see how that move is justified.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
    Nope! In the first step they have [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]. right?
    In the second step, they have [itex]\frac{1}{4}2x[/itex]. right?
    Now, [itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}2x[/itex]. right?

8. Feb 9, 2012 #7
    Ok, I got it. Thanks. Sorry for being so hard-headed

9. Feb 9, 2012 #8
    Happens :smile: You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook