How to Solve an Integration By Parts Problem?

In summary, Integration By Parts is a method used in calculus to integrate a product of two functions. It is used when other integration techniques cannot be easily applied and is solved by using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. The purpose of Integration By Parts is to simplify the integration process and there are specific rules to follow when using it, such as selecting the correct u and dv and accurately evaluating the final answer.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=30843&stc=1&d=1293143474.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this problem and couldn't figure it out so I went and got the solution. However, I don't understand step 6 of the solution. I'm not sure how

[tex](n-1)\int\sin^{n-2}x(1-\sin^2x)dx=(n-1)\int\sin^{n-2}dx-(n-1)\int\sin^nx dx[/tex]

Attachments

• se08c01095.gif
    se08c01095.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I've found my stupid mistake. Distributive Property!

1. What is Integration By Parts Problem?

Integration By Parts is a method used in calculus to integrate a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and is used to simplify the process of integration.

2. When do you use Integration By Parts?

Integration By Parts is used when the integral of a function cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. How do you solve an Integration By Parts Problem?

To solve an Integration By Parts problem, you first need to identify the two functions in the product. Then, you use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is the first function and dv is the derivative of the second function. You continue to apply this formula until you have an integral that can be easily evaluated.

4. What is the purpose of Integration By Parts?

The purpose of Integration By Parts is to simplify the integration process by breaking down a complex integral into simpler integrals. It allows us to solve integrals that cannot be easily evaluated using other techniques.

5. Are there any specific rules to follow when using Integration By Parts?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when using Integration By Parts. These include choosing the correct u and dv, making sure to apply the formula correctly, and correctly evaluating the resulting integral. It is also important to check your final answer for accuracy.