Integration by Parts in Calculus: Understanding the Process and Its Applications

In summary, the author performs integration by parts in order to integrate a product of a function and a derivative, with the goal of arriving at something similar to the Euler-Lagrange equation. This technique is commonly used in physics and can be seen as a covariant form. The author's specific choice of U and dV is to transfer differentiation from v to u.
bugatti79
FOlks,

I am self studying a book and I have a question on

1)what the author means by the following comment "Integrating the second term in the last step to transfer differentiation from v to u"

2) Why does he perform integration by parts? I understand how but why? I can see that the last term has no derivatives of v in it.

See attached jpg.

THanks

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
"The second term in the last equation" is [itex](\partial F/\partial u')v'dx[/itex] and, since that is a product of a function and a derivative, a rather obvious thing to do is to integrate by parts ([itex]\int U dV= UV- \int V dU[/itex]) with [itex]U= v'[/itex] and [itex]dV= (\partial F/\partial u')dx[/itex].

I can see what he has done but why? Why integrate by parts?

Thanks

Because integration by parts, being the "inverse" of the product rule for derivatives, is a natural way to integrate a product. Especially here where the product is of a function and a derivative: [itex]\int u dv[/itex].

integration by part has been done to arrive at something similar to euler lagrange eqn.it just occurs many times in physics in different form may be covariant form

HallsofIvy said:
Because integration by parts, being the "inverse" of the product rule for derivatives, is a natural way to integrate a product. Especially here where the product is of a function and a derivative: [itex]\int u dv[/itex].

andrien said:
integration by part has been done to arrive at something similar to euler lagrange eqn.it just occurs many times in physics in different form may be covariant form

Ok, was just wondering what he meant by transfer differentiation from v to u?

Anyhow, thanks folks.

HallsofIvy said:
"The second term in the last equation" is [itex](\partial F/\partial u')v'dx[/itex] and, since that is a product of a function and a derivative, a rather obvious thing to do is to integrate by parts ([itex]\int U dV= UV- \int V dU[/itex]) with [itex]U= v'[/itex] and [itex]dV= (\partial F/\partial u')dx[/itex].

Actually, shouldn't it be the other way around [itex]U= (\partial F/\partial u')dx[/itex] and [itex]dV=v' [/itex]

Then [itex]V=v [/itex] since [itex]\int dV=\int v'dx [/itex] and [itex] \displaystyle \frac{dU}{dx}= d(\frac{\partial F}{\partial u'})=\frac{d}{dx} \frac{ \partial F}{\partial u'} [/itex]...?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the formula ∫u*dv = uv - ∫v*du, where u and v are the two functions being multiplied together.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful when you have a product of two functions and one of the functions is easier to integrate than the other. This method can also be used to simplify integrals that involve trigonometric functions or logarithms.

3. How do I choose u and dv in integration by parts?

When using integration by parts, you should choose u to be the function that becomes simpler after taking the derivative, and dv to be the function that becomes easier to integrate after taking the derivative.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration by parts?

A common mistake in integration by parts is choosing u and dv incorrectly. It is important to choose them in a way that simplifies the integral. Another mistake is forgetting to consider the constant of integration when finding the final answer.

5. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. When using this method for definite integrals, the limits of integration should be applied to both terms in the formula ∫u*dv = uv - ∫v*du.