1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts question

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] integration by parts question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is part of a larger problem but I'm just not sure if I have the right answer.

edit: this is integral of ln(x-7)dx i just can't seem to figure out how to make it in latex

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]u = x - 7[/tex]

[tex]du = dx[/tex]

Integration by parts to get

[tex]\intlnudu = ulnu - \int1du[/tex]

[tex] = ulnu - u[/tex]

[tex] = (x - 7)ln(x - 7) - (y - 7) + C[/tex]

Now my only problem with this answer is that it gives 7 + C as part of the answer, and I can't recall ever seeing a constant + C as the answer for any integral.

I actually plugged the equation into this integral finder:

And it told me that it was

[tex](x-7)ln(x-7) - x[/tex]

I'm guessing the +C is a given.

I would just leave it at +C and go on but its part of a differential equation so the value of C ends up being important...
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C is not just a constant in the integration. It's an ARBITRARY constant. There is no difference between C and C+7. Just leave it at C and go on.
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    Alright thanks :)
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    You mean x-7 and a constant plus a constant is a constant. Both you and mathematica have the right answer, but mathematica just absorbed the 7 into the constant. Differentiate it to check. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?