Integrating sin(x)/x using Integration by Parts

In summary, the article does not provide a clear explanation of how to evaluate an integral. The author suggests using a power series expansion, and explicitly summing up the first 3-4 non-zero terms. The limit of the integral can be found by substituting in the limits.
jackalsniper
i'm having troubles to integrate [tex]\int\frac{sin x}{x} dx[/tex]
could anyone help me with hints? i tried using integration by parts, but i see it as a never ending chain, sin will change to cos... and x^-1 will become -x^-2 and so on

Physics news on Phys.org
That integral can't be expressed in closed form in terms of elementary functions. SinIntegral

i don't really understand that article, can u explain it please?

jackalsniper said:
i don't really understand that article, can u explain it please?

I doubt that I can provide a much better explanation than what is given in the article. It should be pretty self-explanatory provided you have at least a 2nd year university level math understanding.

Are you sure you are trying to evaluate the correct integral? Is this part of a larger problem? Have you come across special functions before?

no, it's a question that says,
compute the integral of (sinx / x) dx by means of
a. the trapezoidal rule
b. a three term gausian quadrature formulae.
c. simpson's 1/3 rule
d. determine the integral analytically.

i was thinking that part d. uses integration by parts to solve

Is it a definite integral? If so, what are the integration limits?

integrate from 0 to 1, sorry i forgot to include that

jackalsniper said:
integrate from 0 to 1, sorry i forgot to include that

In that case, use the power series expansion for sine and integrate it term by term. You can either leave your answer as an infinite sum, or explicitly sum up the first 3-4 non-zero terms. Summing to order x^7 gives a result accurate to 6 decimal places.

It's too bad it wasn't from zero to infinity, that produces a nice exact answer:smile:

u mean like [tex]\int\stackrel{1}{0} \frac{sin x}{x} dx = x - \frac {x\stackrel{3}{}} {(3 \cdot 3!)} + \frac {x\stackrel{5}{}} {(5 \cdot 5!)} - \frac {x\stackrel{7}{}} {(7 \cdot 7!)} + - ...[/tex]?

jackalsniper said:
u mean like [tex]\int\stackrel{1}{0} \frac{sin x}{x} dx = x - \frac {x\stackrel{3}{}} {(3 \cdot 3!)} + \frac {x\stackrel{5}{}} {(5 \cdot 5!)} - \frac {x\stackrel{7}{}} {(7 \cdot 7!)} + - ...[/tex]?

Don't forget to substitute in the limits!

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{sin x}{x} dx = \left[ x - \frac {x\stackrel{3}{}} {(3 \cdot 3!)} + \frac {x\stackrel{5}{}} {(5 \cdot 5!)} - \frac {x\stackrel{7}{}} {(7 \cdot 7!)} +...\right]_0^1[/tex]

You can write it as an infinite sum; [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)(2n+1)!}[/tex] or just evaluate the first few terms.

ok, thanks for the help, i appreciate it very much

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals that are in the form of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into two parts and applying a specific formula to simplify the integration.

2. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, and the integrand does not have a simple antiderivative. It is also used when the original integral cannot be evaluated using other integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are two functions and dv is the derivative of v with respect to the variable of integration.

4. How do you choose u and dv for integration by parts?

When choosing u and dv, it is helpful to follow the acronym "LIATE", which stands for Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential functions. The function u should be chosen from the first two categories, while dv should be chosen from the last three categories.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include choosing the wrong u and dv, forgetting to apply the formula correctly, and incorrectly evaluating the resulting integral. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with the algebraic manipulation involved in this technique.