1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    I'm kind of lost on where to go next with this integration by parts problem.

I have to integrate e^xcos(x)dx.

I've gotten as far as one step of integration by parts, but I can't understand how this will help. It seems I'll just be going in circles. I have:

e^xsin(x) - int(e^xsin(x))dx. If I do a second integration by parts, will I not just get back to where I started?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2
    do parts twice, combine like terms and you can solve in terms of the original integral in question.
  4. Feb 26, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In other words, you do know how to solve z = a - z for z.

(P.S. doesn't your textbook do this as an example?)
  5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

One thing that can prevents you from getting an obvious equation like 0 = 0 is that: If you previously assigned u = ex, and dv = cos(x) => v = sin(x), and get to:
    [tex]\int e ^ x \cos x dx = e ^ x \sin x - \int e ^ x \sin x dx[/tex]
    Then what you should do next is to let u = ex, and dv = sin(x).
    After that, just do some little rearrangement, and you'll arrive at the answer.
    Do NOT do the reverse (i.e, let u = sin(x), and dv = ex). If you want to see why, then just try it. Don't be surprise if you get an equation 0 = 0, or [tex]\int 0 dx = C[/tex].
    Can you go from here? :)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. Feb 27, 2006 #5
    that's the trick! get back where you started, and combine like terms, as in ac + bc = (a+b)c. that's the only trick to this problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?